• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Give Me Some Ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amatei01

:attn: Hello everybody, I’m from Romania :eek: and I begin whit a presentation of my box:
GIGABYTE GA - 7VAXP KT 400; AMD 1600+ PALOMINO with a TITAN TTC D5TB (who I don’t want to stress to much); GYGABYTE ATI 9000 PRO 64 DDR 128; PQI 256 2700; MAXTOR 80 G 7200; 2 CASE FANS and other gadgets. Until doom 3 I’ve believed that my box was pretty good, but I don’t think that anymore. So I’m thinking to overclock my box. For that I have a few questions:
1. If my cpu is locked , my mobo can unlocked it???
2. Increasing the FSB from the mobo switch at 166 is a clever move??? I can go higher?
3. knowing my box configuration, what do you guru’s think that is the max oc that I can squeeze from my box??? And how??? :confused:
4. If i've got some money to spend, what is the first part to buy??

(off thread: please tell me some good dc++ addresses) :attn:

I don't mean to answer your questions backwards, but if your looking to overclock, the first thing I would look into buying would be some good cpu cooling ( air=$20-60usd, water=$150-400usd, or phasechange/peltier=$ALOT)

I wouldn't know what the max oc you can expect, due to my general lack of palomino knowledge. I went from a 850 tbird to a +2500 barton, so my understanding of the chips in-between those two is rather limited.

2700 ram is definately okay up to 166, but any higher will be trial and error to find the sweet spot for your ram/cpu/mobo combination. lowering the timings on the ram (cas, ras, etc) can help to get higher fsb's. I need to look into that motherboard a bit to get an idea of what it can do.

If your CPU is locked, your motherboard won't be able to unlock it. But, if the palominos are similar to the thunderbirds, you might be able to change the multiplier via the pencil trick (hopefully the mobo allows multiplier changes, otherwise you will have to pencil in certain traces and break other ones).

I will look into the mobo and palomino stuff when I get home.

Hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps before then.

I would just go with the newest bios...

I'm not the best guy to ask about a heatsink.... I used the retail heatsink until I could get enough money together for my water cooling.

Link for CPU

Palomino's default setting is 133(266ddr/pc2100)fsb.

However, according to the gigabyte wesite you can bump the fsb on that mobo up to at least 166(333ddr/pc2700) via one degree increments.

If you want to change the multiplier of the CPU, this might be useful.

Looking at the cpu database on the front page, I see multiple palaminos on that board in the 1.6-1.8 Ghz range, up from the default of ~1.4Ghz.

BTW, im looking at getting the 3D Cooler-Ultra GT...its gonna be sweeeeeet!

thats might be a little too heavy for your CPU though...the 3D Cooler-Ultra might be better for you...

thanks

thanks you guys!!!! :clap:
i've just rise the fsb at 143 => 1501.50 Mhz and the temperature has raised whith 2-3 C (51-57 on idle in a very hot environment >33 C). I've tried to raise the fsb higher, but the sistem reboots. I should raise the cpu voltage as well????. I thing I'll repost in auther place on the forum, I'm not happy whith the answers :(

huh......first off you say thanks....and then you say that you're not happy with the answers?????

and im pretty sure we answered you questions pretty well...you didn't ask how to overclock...you asked how far you would be able to overclock...big difference!!

"I wouldn't know what the max oc you can expect, due to my general lack of palomino knowledge. I went from a 850 tbird to a +2500 barton, so my understanding of the chips in-between those two is rather limited."

the first athlon i had was a 1600 too, but i had absolutly no idea on overclocking , and i didn't even try to overclock until i got my 3200 earlier this year!!!

so i have absolutly no idea!

Back