• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Won't boot - power light just flickers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hungryhungry123

Registered
Hi,
i built my first pc yesterrday with these specs -

barton 2500
512mb 400 ddr ram corsair
80gig 7200rpm 8mb cache western digital
abit nf7
liteon dvd rom
2* case fans
big cpu cooler
400watt powersupply
ti4200

yesterday i built with 4 case fans, but on booting it kept restarting. i figured i must be drawing too much power, so i unplugged 2 fans and the system worked fine. i installed windows, etc. this morning i tried to power on but the lights just flicker and the fans stop and start quickly, like it is restarting over and over again v quickly. power connections inside seem ok. it never "gets going" for long enough to hear any beeps, it just restarts again. the fans rarely ever have time to spin up properly before it restarts.

the power led on the mobo does come on when plugged in, but when i press power the green led flicks on and off as it struggles and restarts. should i connect the psu of an old pc to the mobo and see if it works?

hungryhungry123 said:
Hi,
i built my first pc yesterrday with these specs -

barton 2500
512mb 400 ddr ram corsair
80gig 7200rpm 8mb cache western digital
abit nf7
liteon dvd rom
2* case fans
big cpu cooler
400watt powersupply
ti4200

yesterday i built with 4 case fans, but on booting it kept restarting. i figured i must be drawing too much power, so i unplugged 2 fans and the system worked fine. i installed windows, etc. this morning i tried to power on but the lights just flicker and the fans stop and start quickly, like it is restarting over and over again v quickly. power connections inside seem ok. it never "gets going" for long enough to hear any beeps, it just restarts again. the fans rarely ever have time to spin up properly before it restarts.

the power led on the mobo does come on when plugged in, but when i press power the green led flicks on and off as it struggles and restarts. should i connect the psu of an old pc to the mobo and see if it works?

Could you tell us what your +12volt rail on that PSU is saying? You might want to check out a thread in here posted by mdcomp, he is having his lights flicker too.

will get back to you on the 12v rail thing.

the thing is, i have a lot of unconnected wires in there (front panels, side panels, etc) and by holding those wires out of the way i was able to boot all the way to windows about 10 mins ago. however, ive been unable to repeat it since :( really got my hopes up, lol. however this does seem to point at a grounding/circuit issue. any more ideas?

hungryhungry123 said:
will get back to you on the 12v rail thing.

the thing is, i have a lot of unconnected wires in there (front panels, side panels, etc) and by holding those wires out of the way i was able to boot all the way to windows about 10 mins ago. however, ive been unable to repeat it since :( really got my hopes up, lol. however this does seem to point at a grounding/circuit issue. any more ideas?

As was said above, I was having the same exact issue. Try testing the parts outside of the case. I just had to re-mount my motherboard and it worked.
:)

Matt

I found my 9700 to be the cause. With the power cord in, when I hit the button it flickers, with it out it works fine. Course I found a work around. Just hold the power button in for a few seconds. It works every time for me.

I have remounted the mobo a few times already... i will try it whilst out of the case and see if that works, i really hope it does :-/

this is my first build and to have it work first time, i was really pleased with it. now im so frustrated. ill go try outside the case. btw thanks for all your replies :)

just tested outside case and... it works! i havent done anything differently, so im pretty sure that when i put it back in it wont work again. however, instead of connecting any front panels, i simply used the screwdriver to turn it on. maybe the power switch was at fault? could i simply not use any of the front connectors?

before i remount it, do the washers go in between the studs and the mobo or the mobo and the screws?

as for the voltage thing, the 12v and the -12v were both quite a long way off - about 0.5 v i think.

I put it all back in the case slowly, powering on after every few components and wires - and it was working. so, when i stood it up and it flickered and wouldnt restart, u can imagine my frustration.

however, i put it back down and it works perfectly when it is lying on its side - weird. i dont know how long it will work for though. can anyone help me resolve this?

Back