• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think about SP2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Service Pack 2 released by Microsoft is a big sucess in fixing its security holes and fixes a lot of bugs. My only complaint is the compatability issues with the programs I have on my computer. Including games and general applications. I tried it out on my other computer (not my main rig, too risky ;)). I currently switched back to SP1 on my other rig. Im not upgrading to SP2 till the compatability issues are fixed :).

I installed it anew from a slipstreamed CD, and XP is definitely much faster for me. I have similar gripes with certain programs bugging out, like my firewall (Outpost) and I also get messages saying that Nero "isn't compatible with this version of windows." Otherwise, I think it's great!

:) Odie

I haven't noticed any real difference, I don't use the windows firewall and the security center won't monitor my norton av, so it's useless, but the built in popblocker for IE is nifty, I also like the blue progress bar on the bootscreen.
Other than that I think it's alright.

Installed it two weeks ago on my main rig. Bootup time seems to be a tad slower, no problems so far. Gonna try it on my laptop as well soon. The kids' rig runs a Dutch WinXP system for which SP2 won't be released until the 14th of September...

im too scared to try it. but if i keep saying no to it my computer will probably crash cause im pretty sure microsoft added something to it that if you dont install in "x" amount of days your winxp sp1 wont work.

I just installed it however I do not use any security software on my computer (have a hardware firewall (ipcop) and i handle virus's on a online scan and i never have problems). The one thing I have a grip about is that i cant get arid of tht little icon in the taskbar that is the security center. I dont use that stuff and i dont want that thing there. will comment on the rest of it after i get more use.

doesn't behave any different than the sp1, since I am using Northon antivirus and firewall I don't really use the options like firewall and virus protection that sp2 offers

cooter said:
I just installed it however I do not use any security software on my computer (have a hardware firewall (ipcop) and i handle virus's on a online scan and i never have problems). The one thing I have a grip about is that i cant get arid of tht little icon in the taskbar that is the security center. I dont use that stuff and i dont want that thing there. will comment on the rest of it after i get more use.

start | run | services.msc | find security center, right click properties, disable and stop. Viola!

I have been testing it for about a week now without any problems. I am planning on doing another week of testing before rolling it out to 60 client computers at work, hopefully there won't be any problems there. Any network admins have any problems?

Here is the imcompatability list Im actually suprised on how many things were incompatable with SP2. They say, these were programs only tested my microsoft (meaning, this is a small chunk of all the programs that "loose there functionality")

I find it ironic that Microsoft's "Virtual PC" is on that list. Also, you would think that MS would have worked with companies like Symantec to ensure that there wasn't an incompatibility with their software.

Like I said, I installed it on my server and games like Americas Army, NFSU, and a couple more games didn't work. Since I am a gamer indeed, im not upgrading till they fix those compatability issues.

Back