• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Thermal Throttling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

I was in the BIOS and when you go to the advanced settings (Ctrl + F1) there is a setting for CPU Thermal Throttling (mine was sest at 50%) can anyone explain what that setting is for.

disable it

It's to allow your cpu to throttle back when it is being overworked.

jonspd said:
disable it

Seriously? What adverse effect could that have on a puter?

edwardaune said:
Seriously? What adverse effect could that have on a puter?

Leaving it on has a tendancy to make your overclocks a little more unstable.... I don't think I've used it in years.... you should be o.k. if you turn it off.

jonspd said:
Dont forget to diable agp and cpu spread spetrum.

Where is that in the BIOS, I looked and couldnt find it ecen under the advanced options? I did disable thermal throttling.

jonspd said:
disable it

nope,and it doesn't make OC unstable. actually its more stable in the summer time when weather is hot.
instead of generating heat by processing idle cycles,AMD/nforce's Thermal Throttling puts unused/idle part of the CPU into a suspend mode, therefore it runs cooler and also consumes less power,but if you're folding and stuff where CPU is always @100% then Thermal Throttling won't even come into play ;)

its not like intel's Thermal Throttling,where it starts to change mhz/speed etc...

Back