• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 on RAM Chips for sticking ramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KandaB

Hi guys, I'm new here at Ocforums.

I just wanted to ask a small question, is it possible to be able to use AS5 to stick on ramsinks to ram modules? What I've heard is that its not a good idea to use as5, but instead Ceramique will work better. I can't take the risk, and plus its very rare to get Arctic Silver from where I live (I haven't found any at all). Thanks guys.

PS: Will AS5 work too for vga memory ramsinks for graphic cards?

Honestly, don't do it. AS5 doesn't have the gluing properties you will need to keep the sinks down. Look for arctic alumina adhesive (non capacitive) or if you want a little better performance Arctic silver adhesive (capacitive)

Hrm, I will be making/buying ram chips soon, and I have ceramique.. How would I go about applying this? just straight ceramique to it or mix in some super glue (heard that before), oh and is it really worth it if I get cheap aluminum ones, I will try to get a fan to hover over them and my chipset.

put a little line of superglue on the outside of the perimeter of the component then put a small dab of thermal grease in the middle (just a tiny amount) make sure they dont get mixed and presto a good cheap way to attach tiny heatsinks

Like was said, regular thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 is not an adhesive. You need to use Arctic Silver epoxy or better yet Arctic Alumina adhesive. Like Flapper said, you can use regular thermal paste in the middle and then a dab of super glue in each corner.

When you mean you use super glue on the perimeter, does that mean on the perimeter of the actual RAM chip or the perimeter of the RAM module?

What kind of heatsinks are you using? Just put a dab of super glue on each corner of each RAM chip.

Back