• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM5 RAM config

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jayjay23

Hi community,

I want to build an AM5 system with the upcoming Ryzen 7950X3D. When it comes to RAM, I would love to use the white Dominator DDR5 due to its looks but realized they are not available with EXPO. Given I am not an expert in overclocking, I was wondering whether this is a problem? I.e. should I rather go for a similarly specced kid with EXPO, e.g. the Trident Neo? Or can I somehow manually make up for the lack?
Beside that, do I understand correctly that I should rather go with 2 instead of 4 modules?

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't be an issue, a lack of EXPO. Chances are the XMP profile works fine with AMD.

2 sticks is likely all you need as they commonly run 2x16GB each.

Most motherboards support both. If it won't find EXPO profile then will suggest XMP settings. If you worry about RAM compatibility then ASUS mobos are probably the best nowadays.
There is no brand that guarantees work with 4 memory modules, if they're not sold as a kit. G.Skill is even adding an info card saying that. The Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64GB DDR5-6000 CL30 kit is great, but it's 2 module-kit and I guess you want 4 modules for the RGB and it would look amazing on Dominators.

Thanks both!
@Woomack The Mainboard is already fixed, it is the NZXT N7 B650E. They have some compatibility list on their website but its quite outdated and has only a few kits listed so I hope I don't need to rely on that too much. I don't necessarily need 4 modules just for the looks, given my understanding it might severely impact performance; so I was completely fine with going with 2 modules (unless someone tells me this has no real relevance - although per AMD website if using four kits I think the capacity goes down to 3200MT/s?). So my tradeoff is rather whether to go with the Gskills (EXPO compatibility, good optics) or Dominators (no EXPO, amazing looks).

I was testing single and dual rank DDR5 modules and at least on Intel and lower frequencies or AMD and up to 6400, I haven't seen any difference. 4 modules typically act like dual-rank. G.Skill 2x32GB (Hynix IC) modules run up to 6400, so the same as 2x16GB.

In short, for games you will be fine with any 32GB 6000-6400 memory kit. If you need 64GB then mentioned G.Skill kit will be perfect. On the other hand, I had no problems with Corsair DDR5.

There will be Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5-6000 CL36 EXPO review on the front page soon. I'm not sure if it uses the same IC as Dominators. Probably it will be something else as Dominators 6200 had Hynix IC, and Vengeance/EXPO use Samsung.
This kit is probably using Hynix M IC - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RGB-DDR5-Memory---White/p/CMT32GX5M2X6200C36W (I had a black version last year and it was working fine on all motherboards)
This one looks like Hynix too - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RGB-DDR5-Memory---White/p/CMT32GX5M2X6000C36W

I guess Corsair is always delaying white modules. There is nothing designed for AMD, but they released a whole line of Vengeance kits with EXPO. I'm surprised how well the Vengeance works. It's just that they don't look as good as Dominators. A bit weird is that Dominators have worse specs in general but still cost much more.

This one seems similar to the one I just reviewed. It's designed for Intel, but the profile looks like in the EXPO kit:

Last edited:
Back