• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapped my bowl, I mean NB ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enduro

Well, just lapped my NB over the weekend and discovered that our NB's are so concave, that they might be limiting our overclocks just by getting so freaking hot. Here are some pics about the progress I made. This was the original guide.
Motherboardfaqs

1) Here's what it looked like before.
NB pic 1
2) Here's after 3 hours of using 800 grit sandpaper.
NB pic 2
3) After another hour, I said screw it and used 400 grit for 2 minutes.
NB pic 3

It's safe to say that after 4 hrs of sanding and just wearing down the outside edge, and then another 4 min of 400 grit and then polishing it again, this NB was seriously concave. The first 4 hrs was just me lapping the outside edge down and only after the 400 grit did I actually get it down anywhere. I kept the area very clean with 70% rubbing alcohol and then wiped the board down three times afterward about two in away from the NB. Looks pretty sweet. I haven't tested if it has helped my overclock yet, because I just did the vdd volt mod and haven't even put my board back in my case, because I wanted to make sure that I had done it right. I'll get back after I get home and assuming that I haven't fried my board.

ah you disgrace the Nforce legacy by erasing the Nvidia logo...ah well..its all about the OC!

You know......I noticed with most to all of my Nforce 2 based chipset boards that the NB itself is quite uneven. A heatsink doesn't make an even contact with the NB. This has actually worried my quite a bit. Pretty bad that you have to lap it when it should come flat.

I can gurantee you that my NB wb is not making an even contact with the NB. Not sure how much one should worry about this.........Has to be making some kind of contact though. I doubt my system could run without any cooling. Please post your results. ;)

Great post. I am thinking about re-doing mine as well. I lapped when I put in my Zalman NB heatsink. But I did lap the HS a little more on the edges. Mabye that will help a little.

Well, bad news guys. No the mod went great. My computer booted up after the vdd mod and showed 1.8V vdd. But when I turned on my computer what should I see? Please call a Microsoft technician and get your installation ID. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. My hdd just died on my about a week ago and so I had to load Windows on using my dad's disc since HP (what my original computer was) decided to load the windows disc on the hdd using a seperate partition. HP YOU IDIOTS, WHAT IF THE HDD FAILS? Sorry, had to get that out. Now, HP is telling me to use their recovery cd's( which don't work with my components) and re-tatoo my board so they will work with it ( which costs 60 bucks apparently). They won't send me a Windows XP disc because that wasn't in the liscence agreement. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. So I can't check if my overclock is stable. I HATE HP. Now I need to buy a Windows XP disc unless I can find a loophole somewhere.

lapped my n/b and hsf yesterday i now have 100% contact and 2.0v running through it

took 2 hr's i used 400 to start with then 800 then 1000 to polish i also did the s/b as hdd corruption sucks

Awesome man. I'm planning to up my vdd too, but my OS is acting up and won't start for some reason. It looks like I'm going to have to use 98 for a while. I don't know.

be carefull with win98 as it dont like to many ghz as i went to 2.6ghz and got constant registry errors wouldnt boot winblows so i backed right down to stock and just got in doesnt like fast computers win2k if u have it

Unfortunately no, it's 98 or XP, and XP isn't an option right now. I'm figuring that I'll have to load 98 and then buy the Student Upgrade from NewEgg. It's like 80 bucks, which isn't bad, but it's money that I shouldn't have had to spend if HP wasn't such a wipe about it. Aw well, can't change greedy companies. You live and learn. I'll make sure I have a XP disc on hand this time.

Try cdwg.com they sell microsoft products to government contractors, I've heard of people finding ways to get product keys from them.

All right, thanks man. I'm probably just going to load 98 on my computer and then upgrade to XP so I can have the disc on hand. I'm constantly having to reload my OS, so I'll back up my main hdd on another one so I don't have this problem again.

Back