• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Explorer crashing(WinXp)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

My windows explorer hase been crashing quite frequently. I attributed it to Nortan AV 2004. I Tried AVG and the same thing happens. The windows explorer crashing happend before SP2 so I am not counting SP2 as the cause.

I should explain that when ever I go to browse folders I get a lockup and windows errors about win explorer. A side affect of this is the items in my systray disapear. I dont normally mind but there are some apps That I need to keep track off and it is hard to do when they are buried away somewhere. Generally i can continue w/ out a reboot for several days..it is more of a nuisence than anything. Is there a fix for the Win Ex crashes? Also..how do I get items to reapear back in the systray? (they are still running, just not visible).

Thanks,
Puer

I've had the same problem and I don't know what causes it! :confused:

It doesn't happen a lot, but once in a while I'll be browsing some folders or items on one of my drives and it just locks up and then it asks me if I want to send the error report. Then it closes and I see no icons on my desktop or the start bar at the bottom of the screen. Then it pops back up, but like Puer Aeternus said, some of the icons by the clock are gone even though the programs are still running. I would appreciate it as well if someone could shed some light on this. :)

You guys have the latest spy sweeper installed? If you do, open up spy sweeper, options, uncheck the option "Add sweep for spyware to windows explorer context menu". For some reason that crashes mine with that option enabled. Causes the same symptoms as what you guys describe.

LOL! I have spysweeper and Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Security (Firewall amoung other features). I turned off that feature in Spy Sweeper, I'll see if it helps any. I think it may be norton because I've had this issue for a long time, and during that time I've had Norton. I've only recently installed Spy Sweeper. Its not as bad as it used to be. It used to happen all the time, even when I didn't open My Computer and browse my drives. If it is an issue with Norton, I wish they (either Symantec or Microsoft) would fix it because it sure does get annoying when it happens several times per day.

You may also want to try running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors related to Windows Explorer crashing)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the latest critical error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

Heres some from mine.

Code:
Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Application Hang
Event Category:	(101)
Event ID:	1002
Date:		8/26/2004
Time:		3:25:02 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	KEVIN
Description:
Hanging application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1221, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp[/url].
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67   ion Hang
0010: 20 20 65 78 70 6c 6f 72     explor
0018: 65 72 2e 65 78 65 20 36   er.exe 6
0020: 2e 30 2e 32 38 30 30 2e   .0.2800.
0028: 31 32 32 31 20 69 6e 20   1221 in 
0030: 68 75 6e 67 61 70 70 20   hungapp 
0038: 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20   0.0.0.0 
0040: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65   at offse
0048: 74 20 30 30 30 30 30 30   t 000000
0050: 30 30                     00

Code:
Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	Winlogon
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	1002
Date:		8/26/2004
Time:		3:25:04 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	KEVIN
Description:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp[/url].

Clip.jpg

(clic the image to get new window w/ enlarge option :) )

I was referring to Puer Aeternus's error log afa suggesting a uninstall/reinstall of the Xvid codec. AFA your error messages gustav...is your system Prime stable at 275? Have you successfully run Memtest86+ at 205 (I'm assuming you're running 5:4 w/ that RAM) FSB without any errors? Have you tried running rthdribl (Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting) w/ your VC clocked to it's present core/memory settings...totally free of screen corruption? If you'd like to run rthdribl, you can d/l it from the following site...

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Last edited:
How did you figure that out w/ my error message?
From the "Description" field in the pic of the Event log that you posted: "Faulting application explorer.exe...faulting module xvid.ax...".

Back