• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Windows Explorer Restrictions to Folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am finally out of patience with Windows Explorer (W7) because of the inherent access restrictions to many select folders and the impossibility of transferring files to/from the folders of my choice over our home network. I understand why these restrictions exist but I want them completely (globally) eliminated on my machines. There are zero related security issues of any kind in my home and these restrictions significantly and unnecessarily limit functionality. Over time I have had limited success with specific folders using Properties-Security Tab-Edit Group and even the Advanced set of dialogs. Once and for all I want to put an end to this BS.

Recently, while away from home, I fully backed up a computer, using Western Digital SmartWare, onto a WD Passport portable hard drive. I am now home and need to cherry pick a small hand full of Word and excel files out of the "Documents" folder and can't get access to this specific folder because of a dialog that pops up titled "Location is not available" and stating "The media is write protected.". No matter my efforts using Properties -Security etc. I continue to be restricted from it.

Is there a utility that will allow me to, preferably, globally eliminate these restrictions or at worst, easily and reliably eliminate them for specific folders? I know the purpose of the restrictions but I want them totally gone!

It is not my intention to rant but I just traveled over 1100 miles with limited time here at home and I cannot access files I created on my hardware and stored in the "Documents" folder that was backed up on the WD portable hard drive. I have no problem accessing most of what was backed up on the WD portable drive but certain folders are protected and I cannot get to the files inside them (this is NOT a hard drive encryption issue). I think I will be able to gain access by installing the WD SmartWare Utility and using it to restore the specific files but this is an unnecessary time consuming PITA that I should not have to deal with because the folders are easily visible using Windows Explorer.

Any advice with respect to a quick straight forward way of turning off these unwanted protective features would be sincerely appreciated. I am well aware of the risks being taken by doing this but since I own the machines and am 100% accountable for everything on these machines it is my risk alone and I resent the hell out of MS for going so far to protect me against myself.

Last edited:
Back