• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battery backup and folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FizzledFiend

Battery backup and folding problems!

ok this new rash of problems just gets wierder and wierder.

I will try to give as many details as possible so that you guys can help figure something out.

Client version 5.02 not running as a service..I like watching it very closely
CyberPower battery backup/surge protector
Antec true control 550 (with adjustable rails) everything voltage wish is dead on and never fluctuates much under nominal voltage. Meaning 12v line is always 12 v or 11.97 lowest. Same with other voltages.
Lab room wiring is all on the same breaker. 220 20 amp breaker
Abit AN7
Amd Barton 2500+M @ 2646 Mhz
512 DDR 400 @ 441
12 X 220
got the machine running with XP pro SP2 (updated to SP2 today [SUSPECT])
1 5800 BTU window AC unit

heres the scenario:
sitting @ screen for 1 hour while folding and surfing no problems.
leave machine to watch movie, take shower, pinch off terd, or whatever for a period of time. When i return the screen has gone off as planned (no screen saver) when I hit my mouse to activate my screen again my UPS starts a siren. no way to stop it unless i shut down folding and power it back up.

The battery backup isn't connected to my machine via any cables...I was given this thing and they didn't have the cable or software. still works as a battery backup and surge protector.

Any ideas what might be causeing this? I suspected that maybe coming back from standby was causeing a drastic spike in power draw, but after looking @ my MBM5 logs I can't seem to find any spikes whats so ever.

as far as whats on the PSU I have 2 HDDs 2 Opticals 1 120MM fan (over ram)1 stock AMD HSF (on NB) and the stock NB cooler on the SB

2 nic cards currently in the machine and a Nvidia FX5200 (not oced)

thats not enough to make my PSU even fart.
I sure would like to figure this problem as it's justagrivating as crap to have to shut down folding as I can't see the status without digging into the logs + i am losing valuable time restarting the blasted thing.

Any Ideas?

I'm guessing you're not getting enough juice from the wall or you have alot of resistance in your electrical. Light dimmers, blow dryers, and other appliances are the worst. Try hooking your rig up in the garage on one of the washer plugs as they have a higher tolerance. Best thing to do is isolate the problem and kill off possibilities.

ya I agree to try another outlet. Run an extension cord into your room and see if the same thing happens. I live in an older house and they had the wires run all over the place. I ended up running a new wire into my home office to keep brownouts from killing my machines.

the thing is this house is 1 year old and and I didn't have this problem till SP2. absolutlu nothing has changed ...this is a bummer :(
did it again this morning, but it only did it for few seconds and stopped it'self...I am begining to wonder if the UPS is hosed

i think that as you swich on the moniter it is doing a degauss this requires a lot of juce
the ups cant handel the load. thats your power spike.
I suspected that maybe coming back from standby was causeing a drastic spike in power draw, but after looking @ my MBM5 logs I can't seem to find any spikes whats so ever.

because of this if the power goes off i can't swich my primary screen on if its off. the ups shuts off. when conected to mains it is able to bypass and alow the large current to degaus the screen. I know this cos i get a popup when i do it. "output overload!" or some thing to that effect.

are all the outlets on the backup battery protected, or are some just surge? I would try connecting the monitor to the surge side if possible or connect it to another surge protector all together. I agree, maybe when you come back from standby, the monitor makes the battery backup hate it's life. how many watts is the backup rated for?

I had a similar problem. My dually is on a 800VA APC unit, and when I turn on my overhead lights (12x 75W basement lights) the UPS sometimes kicks on breifly. One time though, it came on and would not go back on utility power. I had to shut everything down, and reset the UPS, then turn it down from "high" to "normal" voltage sensitivity. It still sometimes comes on with the lights, but it hasn't got stuck on any more.

Just as my lights draw power and kick on the UPS, your monitor probably is. You should get the software and make sure you are not also overloading your UPS!

A question I have while this thread is going: I noticed my PSU makes buzzing sounds when the system runs off the UPS, any ideas why?

-Rav

the 12v dc(could be a 24 volt power sorce in these.) to 240 volt ac (OR what ever u usa people and rest of world use 120v is it??) converter ciritry. it has to produce a 50/60 hz out-put this i presume is what produces that buz.
my ups is quite old now its a 100o va smart ups its not got stuck on batttery that i can remember.

I've tried 2 differents UPS's on my rigs, and neither would do the job. Bringing the monitor out of sleep would set off alarms or kill it completely. Even without the monitor plugged into the UPS, I would sometimes come home from work and the comp would be off. These were 500vA and 800vA APC units, and I tried them each on all 3 of my comps - had problems each time. An expensive venture, since they're gathering dust now. Just thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

Have you tried simply turning the monitor off when not in use, instead of having it go into sleep mode?

Back