• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie with questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingstriker

Registered
Okay,

Don't look at me stupid but I've got some newbie questions. First off, I have an I-Will KA-266-R mobo with an AMD T-Bird 1.4gHz 266FSB and 512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram. I do not want to overclock at this time but may in the future. Here's my questions.

My multiplier should be at 10.5x correct?

Should I just let the motherboard set the Core Voltage or should I set my own? If I should set my own, what do you recommend?

My boot up temp can get as high as 56C and I've never seen the temp any higher than that. Is this too hot? I have a case fan in the front blowing air in, a case fan in the back blowing air out, and a fan in the pci slot blowing out, but it is about 4 centimeters from my ATI Radeon 64 MB DDR VIVO. Oh, the case is an Enlight 7237 with an AMD approved 300w PS.

If you have any other suggestions or comments please post or email me at [email protected].

-WingStriker

p.s. I put this post in the motherboard topic because my questions deal with the jumpers and/or bios settings of the mobo.

Last edited:
56C seems a little hot for a chip thats not overclocked. Rasiing the core voltage would raise your temps even more. What HSF are u using? might need a better one with those temps.

Welcome to the forums!

the volcano II isn't very good for higher end t-birds

i usually see the sk6 or the glaciator recommended. i use the gladiator (VERY different from the glaciator) myself, and i'm thinking about going to watercooling before too long.

the core voltage should be somewhere between 1.75 and 1.8 for a chip at that speed. the lowest voltage that's stable is probably your best bet for lowering temps until you get a better hsf

Are you using arctic silver? You should be. www.arcticsilver.com

Looks like I'll be getting a new HSF then. The SK6 HSF is $33.75, pricey.. :-( (well, for me it's pricey). I can't find the Glaciator any where. My VCore is at 1.76. So, when I get some more money it looks like I'll be getting the SK6 HSF.

Could somebody link me to a place that has the Glaciator?

-WingStriker

--------------------

AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.4gHz 266FSB
I-WILL KA-266-R Mobo
512MB PC2100 DDR RAM (Crucial)
64MB ATI Radeon DDR VIVO
SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer 5.1
80GB Western Digital 7200rpm HD

Back