• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont Overclock (A7V8X-X)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legion2005

I havent flashed the bios yet, I dont really want to if I can help it. My bios gives a few options. I can change the voltage and the cpu speed. Then the FSB changes when I change the cpu speed. The problem is, right now it is clocked at 2.2GHz. The next and only option is 2.5GHz. I am assuming thats too much, cause after I save changes to the bios... I just get a black screen.

I tryed Clockgen, but I couldnt find my chipset. I downloaded an Abit chipset, and the program actually runs, but when I try to apply... nothing changes.

If there is a way to where I can overclock without flashing the bios I will, but if I have to flash it... so be it.

I am watercooling the CPU with a standard watercooling system. I am guessing the jump from 2.2GHz to 2.6GHz is still too much? My temps on idle are from 90F to 100F.

Last edited:
Why aren't you just creeping the fsb up in small stages? Why does it have to jump from 2.2ghz to 2.5ghz. Do you mean you are upping the multiplier when you say upping the cpu speed?

Is your memory capable of going any further than 2.2? You appear to have one stick of PC2700 and one of 3200. Is that right?

Even if you can o'clock that far you will need to increase the voltage to the cpu, and probably quite a bit, and to the ram too!

Sorry if you already know that!

I dont know what the muliplier is, I was in the bios and it said CPU Speed: .....
The FSB is usually on auto, and goes with the CPU speed. And when I change it, it only has one option. With my CPU speed set at 2.2GHz, the fsb is 333MHz. With my CPU speed at 2.6GHz it goes to 400MHz.

I did change the voltage to the processor up. I put it as high as it could go. Still wouldnt work.

Oh yeah... and I do have 1 stick of 2700 and 1 of 3200.

Last edited:
is the chip unlocked? for example if you change the multiplier in the bios when you boot into windows is it still changed

I think he is talking about using the presets... um, the best way to do it would be to look at a nice OCing guide. I know that board, though, doesn't OC that well. OR it does but you lose performance (at least I did)

I'm his Friend, (Eric), and the only options it gives for adjusting speed is stock for his 2700+ and then 2.5 or 2.6ghz whatever it is.

We've tried clockgen, but that wouldn't apply the changes, temps are not a problem (watercooled), there just aren't any option in the bios for cpu adjustment.

Last edited:
It saves the changes, but doesn't apply them, in cpuid it still shows the stock clocks.

If it is like the A7V8X like i have you need to put the processor to manual, then the multipliers and the front side bus will be able to be changed.

Look at the cpu or proccessor settings there should be a manual setting somewhere in the first few settings.

Hope that helps, I have had trouble oc'ing a 1.1 gig chip using the default jumps. If the chip is very stable it will jump, but if it is not you will have hell using the default jumps.

later.........

Hmmm, I didnt think... maybe I could set some jumpers on the motherboard?

I think the problem is when I try to overclock everything is too much for it. It is a jump from 2.2GHz to 2.6GHz. MAYBE I would need some volt mods, but even if I did... the temps would probably be too high.

BTW, I did flash my BIOS, but I didnt get any different settings, and it didnt solve anything.

Back