• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with a p4 3.2E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cybercla

Registered
Hi,
I have a p4 3.2E on an ic7-g board. Its stable at 242 FSB, but Im not really able to get the FSB any higher. If I raise it to 243, the computer gets to the windows logon screen after which it restarts. I raised the voltage at 1.425 and I dont really want to go any higher.
Any idea of what may be holding me back or what else should I try? I have 2 x 512Mb pc4000 patriot at 2.8V currently running at 1:1 ratio.

Thanks.

cybercla said:
Hi,
I have a p4 3.2E on an ic7-g board. Its stable at 242 FSB, but Im not really able to get the FSB any higher. If I raise it to 243, the computer gets to the windows logon screen after which it restarts. I raised the voltage at 1.425 and I dont really want to go any higher.
Any idea of what may be holding me back or what else should I try? I have 2 x 512Mb pc4000 patriot at 2.8V currently running at 1:1 ratio.

Thanks.

What S spec is your CPU?

I hit a brickwall on my [email protected], can not go over 242 at all but 240 is 100%prime stable and doesnt matter how much Vcore is raised cannot go over 242.

jenko said:
I hit a brickwall on my [email protected], can not go over 242 at all but 240 is 100%prime stable and doesnt matter how much Vcore is raised cannot go over 242.

Still a good OC jenko! It's fairly normal for these procs to reach a limit around 240 on air. What Vcore VAGP and mem settings are you using. Do you get memtest stable at 242?

I currently have a 3.2E doing 4.00 @ 250 FSB on IC7-Max3. I noticed that after 240fsb my vCore would fluctuate 1.52->1.48->1.54 not as solid as if I left it at 240. So I tried everything and what I found was that I needed a power supply rated better than an Antec TruePower 550. I bought an Enermax EG651P-VE and when I connected it up my vCore stays rock solid at 1.54->1.55. Suddenly my PC can get a stable 250. I have a Dual 120 Radiator/RBX/Hydor L30 setup to cool this mutha'. If I run at 240fsb my vCore can be 1.4v easy.

Free_Loader said:
I currently have a 3.2E doing 4.00 @ 250 FSB on IC7-Max3. I noticed that after 240fsb my vCore would fluctuate 1.52->1.48->1.54 not as solid as if I left it at 240. So I tried everything and what I found was that I needed a power supply rated better than an Antec TruePower 550. I bought an Enermax EG651P-VE and when I connected it up my vCore stays rock solid at 1.54->1.55. Suddenly my PC can get a stable 250. I have a Dual 120 Radiator/RBX/Hydor L30 setup to cool this mutha'. If I run at 240fsb my vCore can be 1.4v easy.

Impressive!!! So you're saying that yr Antec 550 wasn't enough! Waweeeeeeeeee. That means my Enermax 460 isn't going to be enough when I get my SL7LKC 3.2E tomorrow.. :drool:

i suggest buying the best power supply out there that you can afford....imo....otherwise you will not see the real potential of your setup. Everyone's situation is different, this i understand, but the trend to get more speed is more stable power.

FYI: The vCore voltage stability was so important that if I connected any other hardware to the same, circuit as the 4-pin on the mobo, i would get the same instability issue. I found this out because the Enermax i listed had an extra molex, kinda together with the 4-pin which i plugged into the fans and lights on the case. The molex is even listed as extra. This caused instability....originally when i tested i never used this extra molex because I did not notice it....anyway hope that makes sense and do yourself a favor now and in the future, buy a P&C Power Supply!!!

Yshhh.

I've got my spare Antec SL450 I was gonna' use when I buy my 3.2E.

What's left, a PCP&C @ big bux ? :rolleyes:

Strat

/me already feels sorry for my new mobo' s MOSFETS.

woutertal said:
Still a good OC jenko! It's fairly normal for these procs to reach a limit around 240 on air. What Vcore VAGP and mem settings are you using. Do you get memtest stable at 242?

Well for [email protected] 240fsb and a 1.45vcore to be prime95 stable for 12hours running heat test twice.
As i bought the cheapest pc3200 dual channel 2x512mb sticks i could get my hands on i run it with the 333 divider so it runs at 193fsb 2-3-3-8 2.65v.
Agp 1.6v
I have to run the memory divider as my 865pe northbridge will tear very badly if i run the memory 1:1 or it could be the ram.

jenko said:
I have to run the memory divider as my 865pe northbridge will tear very badly if i run the memory 1:1 or it could be the ram.
This has been a pretty well documented prob w/i865PE boards when memory is run in 1:1 config >240 FSB, or so. It seems to be related to the NB luck-of-the-draw (quality), memory type/quality, and FSB.

Some peeps get probs, some don't. The technical issue seems to be: The NB is run out of spec (OCed), and just as with cpu's, some chips can handle additional over spec'd stress better than others. Hi FSB's, when running larger amounts of RAM @ 1:1 (Hi RAM Freq), seem to stress the NB the most.

Changing to different RAM does sometimes help.

For some reason, the Asus P4P800's seeem to be one of the most maligned mobo's for this prob, but other brands also suffer from it, and it just may be that the Asus P4P800 is one of the more popular, and has a large installed base, in terms of quantitity of OC'd boards in the field.

Strat

Free_Loader said:

How do we know that this is true?

You do realize how expensive these PSU's are ,right?
You also realize that the vcore drop on the board is a known issue and that's why there is a droop mod available to stabilize it ?

So, based on what you're saying, the droop mod isn't even needed, and all you need is a 650W PSU to fix the voltage fluctuation ?
(Note:I get voltage fluctuation any FSB; you say yours ONLY happens above 240?@_@). (I will try 100 fsb just to see).

I would think that if this were true, we would have heard about this a long time ago. But this is the first post I have read about your claim.

If it is true, then that's great news for all of us, but I am skeptical;

This isn't the first time I've read news like this and went out and bought something, only to find that it did nothing for me. Except make me poorer .... :bang head

If I run out and spend $100 and buy a 650W Enermax PSU, and it doesn't stop the vcore fluctuations, then what?

If it's not too much to ask, can you provide some proof that the system doesn't fluctuate vcore when idle and at load? Screenshots from Taskinfo 2003, the abit monitoring program, Prime95, etc, to show that your cpu is in fact under full load, and another when it is idle, would be great, before I decide to throw $100+ on a 650w Enermax... ;)

Also, if anyone else has a 650+W PSU, and can verify that it can stop the vcore drooping, please post.

Vcore that droops or drops under load (which is common with Asus) and fluctuation is not the same thing. Actually, a little bit of minor fluctuation is normal. If you see it swinging back and forth over a wider range, that's when you need to worry.

Some mobos like Abit always undervolt a little, that's not a problem if the undervolting is consistent, so then you just go off actual measured vcore rather than the BIOS setting.

To further complicate matters, the vcore on Prescotts is variable depending on load. That's another reason why they should not be overvolted. It is well known that the Prescotts need a hefty power supply. Wimpy will not cut the mustard.

batboy said:
To further complicate matters, the vcore on Prescotts is variable depending on load.
VRD, right???

That's basically what were trying to 'overide', to-a-point, when we droop mod???

Correcto mundo?

Strat

To further complicate matters, the vcore on Prescotts is variable depending on load.

Here is a link with everything you want to know ( and a few that you don't need to know :) ) about the Prescott Dynamic VID and why it could be dangerous to override it

Prescott VID

Dave

Stratcat my memory pc3200 is 100% stable at 230fsb using memtest and prime.
But if i go over 205fsb i get tearing, it really annoying me.
I would sell this asus board and get a abit ic7 max3 if it didnt cost twice as much.

Jenko -

Maybe first try another set of RAM sticks, if you have any available.

As far as the i865PE NB issue goes, HERE'S* a thread about it, in all it's 15+ pages of lenght, if you're interested.

*Forum credit: ABXZone (formerly Asusboards)
*Originator credit: Bigtoe

Strat

Back