• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0C crashes whenever under load! SNDS? HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achilles17

Whenever I put my 3.0C (30 cap SL6WU) under any kind of load, it starts the program, then dies. I had it OC'd to 3.7ghz 100% prime stable for a few months, with my SP94 + 92mm tornado. just today though, for some reason, it wont load anything other than minor programs like AIM and firefox without freezing. Temps were around 30 idle 40 load (I saw around because my mobo is notorious for giving horrible temp readings, but thats what MBM5 said, for what its worth). Its not my PSU either, I check the rails with a multimeter and they were fine. Even when I put my cpu to 1.5ghz (100mhz FSB) with 1.5v, and my ram on 3:2, it STILL does the same thing. Anyone have ANY idea whats going on, what part may be malfunctioning, or how to fix it? thanks

sudden northwood death syndrome?

search the forums for northwood death, might have to add you to the list of casulties

_

yeah...that would be bad...is this a possibility? heard of anyone with these kinda symptoms that suffered from SNDS?

1.6v, plus its droop modded so it doesnt fluctuate a lot like my mb does at stock. Ive never had it higher than 1.6v, had it running at that for a long time. It runs multiple programs without a problem, but once i load a game, it dies. Sounds like more of a software problem than SNDS to me, but i dont know too much about SNDS

nope doesn't sound like SNDS to me this usually happens when your vcore is at 1.7 or about 1.70 volts........... And bsides that the newer chips don't seem to be affected by SNDS. Whats your rails on your power supply look like?
I just replaced my p/s because of almost the same thing happening......... my rails were all fine also til 1 day poof.........it just stopped.......

jszent said:
Also remember xp doesn't like to be installed when you overclock..........sometimes its better to install it at stock settings..........try that next time you re-install it.

hmmm, i just reinstalled xp overclocked.

Achilles17 said:
Whenever I put my 3.0C (30 cap SL6WU) under any kind of load, it starts the program, then dies. I had it OC'd to 3.7ghz 100% prime stable for a few months, with my SP94 + 92mm tornado. just today though, for some reason, it wont load anything other than minor programs like AIM and firefox without freezing. Temps were around 30 idle 40 load (I saw around because my mobo is notorious for giving horrible temp readings, but thats what MBM5 said, for what its worth). Its not my PSU either, I check the rails with a multimeter and they were fine. Even when I put my cpu to 1.5ghz (100mhz FSB) with 1.5v, and my ram on 3:2, it STILL does the same thing. Anyone have ANY idea whats going on, what part may be malfunctioning, or how to fix it? thanks

Sounds a lot like spyware. In fact, sounds -exactly- like spyware.

I suggest a thorough cleaning in safe mode, with Ad aware, spybot search and destroy, spybot blaster, and a decent anti virus program. Norton doesn't count.

jszent said:
Also remember xp doesn't like to be installed when you overclock..........sometimes its better to install it at stock settings..........try that next time you re-install it.

pff.... I do this always, had never a problem with't ..

hmm...it works now...that was weird, it just didnt want to work for a while there. My rails were fine, i checked the 12v with a multimeter and it was good. I just gave the computer a rest, then tried it a few hours later and it was good. Oh well, thanx for the help guys. Anyone else experience this, then just get ti working back to normal a little while later?

Achilles17 said:
Anyone else experience this, then just get ti working back to normal a little while later?

Yup,

Every P4 I've owned..... 2.2a, 2.4b, 2.6C. All replaced via warranty.... All failed again. What you are experiencing is what I experienced within a few short weeks of complete CPU failure! :( Sorry!

Achilles17 said:
hmm...it works now...that was weird, it just didnt want to work for a while there. My rails were fine, i checked the 12v with a multimeter and it was good. I just gave the computer a rest, then tried it a few hours later and it was good. Oh well, thanx for the help guys. Anyone else experience this, then just get ti working back to normal a little while later?

More than likely something is failing either in the PSU or the motherboard.

Chips don't work again after getting "rest for a few hours". A chip will heat up to full heat within minutes of being put under load, regardless of how much rest it's been under.

It's possible there is a failing cap under the cpu or something, though I would rather point towards the PSU or motherboard, if the chip is suddenly working fine now. A permanent failure can be the chip; an intermittent failure is usually another component. PSU is usually first culprit, followed by motherboard, RAM, flaky devices, errant software, and then CPU

Back