• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 64 Fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamo

Ok, this might sound really stupid... and it probably is. But I have no clue what FSB speed those 64's operate at. With the XP's it seems to be written all over it, but I think all it says for 64's are "integrated" or something like that. But don't you need to know the FSB to know what speed ram to get? You want to get those things in sync if I'm not mistaken. I was thinking if by any chance the FSB is 800 or something, perhaps DDR2 ram would be more suited for that kind of a FSB. I know pc3200 operates at 400mhz-- does DDR2 operate at twice the speed or something? I'm just a little confused right now. Thanks.

jamo said:
Ok, this might sound really stupid... and it probably is. But I have no clue what FSB speed those 64's operate at. With the XP's it seems to be written all over it, but I think all it says for 64's are "integrated" or something like that. But don't you need to know the FSB to know what speed ram to get? You want to get those things in sync if I'm not mistaken. I was thinking if by any chance the FSB is 800 or something, perhaps DDR2 ram would be more suited for that kind of a FSB. I know pc3200 operates at 400mhz-- does DDR2 operate at twice the speed or something? I'm just a little confused right now. Thanks.

A64 accually doesnt have a FSB, or at least not in the same sence that A-XP does, it has what we call HTT(Hyper TransporT) then you have a HTT(ldt) multipier, most a64 chipsets have a 3x, 4x, or 5x, giving 200httx3=600mhz, 200httx4=800mhz, and 200x5=1000mhz. and this bus is double date rate, so you get 1200mhz, 1600mhz, and 2000mhz "fsb" which is really just a data rate, anyway enough of that :D

w a64 you cant run you ram faster than your HTT speed(the 200mhz thingy) so stock ram speed is 200mhz(DDR400)(aka pc3200). you can overclock, and get your HTT up, and run your ram faster than 200mhz(or at least you should be able to :D )

AKAIK there are no ddr2 mobos availible for A64..

Last edited:
Well, which chips are 3x hp, 4x hp, etc. Is there a way to differentiate between the chips with the different hp speeds? Although there are no motherboards for dd2 now, does it run twice as fast supposedly? Like at 800mhz instead of 400 mhz like ddr ram.

Jess1313 said:
A64 accually doesnt have a FSB, in the same sence that A-XP doesn, it has what we call HTT(Hyper TransporT) then you have a HTT(ldt) multipier, most a64 chipsets have a 3x, 4x, or 5x, giving 200httx3=600mhz, 200httx4=800mhz, and 200x5=1000mhz. and this bus is double date rate, so you get 1200mhz, 1600mhz, and 2000mhz "fsb" which is really just a data rate, anyway enough of that :D

w a64 you cant run you ram faster than your HTT speed(the 200mhz thingy) so stock ram speed is 200mhz(DDR400)(aka pc3200). you can overclock, and get your HTT up, and run your ram faster than 200mhz(or at least you should be able to :D )

AKAIK there are no ddr2 mobos availible for A64..

your not entirely right on that, AMD XP processors do have FSB, and as for HTT (hyper transport techonolgy) is AMD way of saying that it communicates with the other components really fast like from the CPU to the chipset and to the components on the board and faster speeds then exsiting technolgy, ie: at hyper transport speeds .

as for the original question, on AMD64 system, unlike AMD-XP/Intel systems, your memory is always going to be ASYNC, the amd64 processors have a on-die memory controller, which eliminates the need for a northbridge chipset..making it more efficent and allows for more bandwidth.. but because of this, technoloy hasn't made ram fast enough to keep up with our processors, so basically stock is 200mhz or PC3200. there is no such thing as in 800mhz ram yet, and amd systems don't come in DDR2 yet either

ocpinoy said:
your not entirely right on that, AMD XP processors do have FSB, and as for HTT (hyper transport techonolgy) is AMD way of saying that it communicates with the other components really fast like from the CPU to the chipset and to the components on the board and faster speeds then exsiting technolgy, ie: at hyper transport speeds .

as for the original question, on AMD64 system, unlike AMD-XP/Intel systems, your memory is always going to be ASYNC, the amd64 processors have a on-die memory controller, which eliminates the need for a northbridge chipset..making it more efficent and allows for more bandwidth.. but because of this, technoloy hasn't made ram fast enough to keep up with our processors, so basically stock is 200mhz or PC3200. there is no such thing as in 800mhz ram yet, and amd systems don't come in DDR2 yet either

yeah i sorta typoed, i edited my above post :) , thanks for catching that

and as of right now, i dont think that there are any DDR2 mobules that will run 400(ddr800)...

Ok so what makes DDR2 so much better. Is it like a revolution in the memory lineup.

So you're telling me DDR2 is basically the same, it just has the potential to reach higher speeds because of its lower voltage?

That pc2-6400 looks tempting though to go along with the hyper transport.

I found this to be an interesting read, you may want to check it out.

It sounds like a good explanation, and i could understand most of it, too :D

Back