• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bandwidth of telnet/ssh?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

Just wondering, how much bandwidth do telnet or ssh take up? How much bandwidth do I need to set up a server that I can just telnet into?

Thanks!

depends on how fast you want it to respond ;)
i've run ssh servers and connected over my LAN (10Mbit on the server) and that was more than enough and occasionally i've connected to one of my systems over the net... only a 1.5mbit cable connection then and it was fine (bit sluggish when the client's upstream is being used some but fine overall)

I've actually gotten some decent speeds when I was connecting through someone's modem connection. The lag was noticable but I could still do whatever it was I was doing. With your connection I don't think it'd be too bad. The best thing to do would be to test it out and see what kind of speeds you get depending on the amount of work you're doing.

-DarkArctic

If you notice significant lag, you can always redirect the output of whatever you're running to /dev/null with command >/dev/null (if you only want to see errors) or pipe it through tail -n x with command | tail -n x (if you only want to see the last x lines). If that doesn't help enough, run ssh with the -C option to compress everything.
Also, don't use telnet over the Internet. It's not secure.

As for your bandwidth, 400 Kb/s is more than enough, as long as you redirect the output of any compiling you do to /dev/null. ;)

A terminal (which is what telnet/ssh essentially are) needs about 9600 Baud, that's roughtly 1200 bytes/second. Old VT100 and friends ran at 38400 Baud maximum.Much more important is the latency: the lower the ping the better.

Back