• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade time :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[RoNiN]

K decision time...

AMD64 3500 (939)
MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat (with wifi)
Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2x512
Seagate Bara 120gb sata
BFG 6800 GT OC
Thermalright xp-120
Thermaltake 120mm 2000rpm fan
Thermaltake Damier case
Antec true blue 480w

...is kinda what i'd decided on reasons being..

CPU - skt 939 so if i see a cheap FX l8r im good to go

Mobo - was a bit of a toss up between Asus/MSI and i kinda liked the PCB colour ;) (plus no DFI 939)

RAM - the 222 stuff competed well with the corsair stuff and seem to be more price reasonable

HDD - erm... just pick 1 init unless its 10000rpm or sumthin? Plus i read Seagate r doin 5yr warranty

VGA - kinda pushin the budget a bit and for £260 (from PCworld no less :/) vvreasonable. woulda liked the gainward GS but wats 30hz right?

HSF - select largest available....

Case - would hope that this case is pretty heat efficient plus i like design, bit pricey tho.

was lookin to overclock this system and aren't sure what speeds to expect?

So was all decided then I stumble across the silver "Shark" series on the Thermaltake site ,and well, i want that 1 now lol. question is, will 2 fans be as efficient (2x120mm) vs (2x80mm+3x90mm)?

the Shark case steers you to the "Bigwater" w/c setup found it for 60 odd quid which isnt that much more than the XP-120 setup. would it benefit the OC that much more with water? I assume that it'll be a pain in the *** to fit, also if it goes wrong arrgghhh, plus it prob need periodic servicin (not unlike the misses) so it would have to be worth it...

will be getting all this at the end of October and i cant see anything else "just out" that would be much better and dont really want to w8 any longer *cough* AMD900384mbpc133GF2ultra64 *cough* so NF4/PCIe etc will have to be future upgrades

So thoughts on the case/watercoolin/OC etc?

Thx peeps

Back