• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT266A Chipset!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman53142

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but hardocps got a review of the new KT266A chipset. Incredible results. I am thouroughly impressed and amazed.

Hardocp

Damn! I just bought a new MoBo! Anyway, it looks like we have a new Chipset-king! Looking really good.

ViaHW also just posted a reference KT266A review. It fulfills what I've been saying all along - don't count Via out, they're likely to raise the bar for everyone else. Wellm they've done it once again. I'm surprised how soon after hearing about it that they'll have mobos out - looks like we'll have an interesting couple of weeks as the new KT266A stuff hits the street.

SickBoy

the sis 735 matches or beats it in almost every case and is likely to be less expensive, but then via coming out first will definately be an advantage as people have waited so long for good ddr

Phil,

Are you talking about the KT266 or the KT266A?

It's quite clear that the original KT266 sucked big time but the KT266A seems to be the fastest chipset (at least in the reference boards). My guess is that this would again be the translated into the production boards as well like we have seen with the SDRAM boards.

Like I said in another post: I was looking forward to the SiS chipset being used but I havn't heard about any boards being planned with the exeption to the ECS board which didn't seemed to be designed for the power user.
I'd like to see what Iwill can do with this chipset.

Amiel

I'm not sure, it was a recent round up but I didn't notice. SiS have taken far too long getting this chip into boards, it caught everyones attention with it's high performance and then left them hanging with no boards.

Now if VIA can work out their USB problems ("SUPPOSEDLY" this new chipset has the fix) then it might be worthwhile. I'll ignore the benchmarks and wait until real people have these boards in their homes doing some real world computing to make my final verdict.

MSI K7t266 Pro raid ddr board

I have the MSI K7T266 pro Raid ddr board and I must say it is sweet, I run a 1.2 ghz tbird pc266 not overcloceked yet cause I do not need to w 2x256 crucial ddr pc2100.

I have to say the system rocks and I have had no USB probs yet, and I am running 2 USB devices, a logitech 3000 pro USB webcam and a Sandisk smart media card reader with plans to add on another usb device.

If I understand correct the reference board in the hardcop test is a revision of what I have ?? I am asking for input on this cause I thought it was the same but I may be wrong.:cool:

Cisco Kid;)

Re: MSI K7t266 Pro raid ddr board

Cisco Kid said:
I have the MSI K7T266 pro Raid ddr board and I must say it is sweet, I run a 1.2 ghz tbird pc266 not overcloceked yet cause I do not need to w 2x256 crucial ddr pc2100.

I have to say the system rocks and I have had no USB probs yet, and I am running 2 USB devices, a logitech 3000 pro USB webcam and a Sandisk smart media card reader with plans to add on another usb device.

If I understand correct the reference board in the hardcop test is a revision of what I have ?? I am asking for input on this cause I thought it was the same but I may be wrong.:cool:

Cisco Kid;)

You will probably be in for a surprise if you decide to overclock it and you turn up your FSB past 138. The USB usually goes brain dead after that point, won't work. All my USB stuff worked at normal FSB speeds except my MS Intellimouse explorer, but that worked after installing the latest via patch. I have the same board you have as well as my epox board on my main system that uses the AMD 761. I never have problems with the 761.. The KT266A is the newest version of VIA's DDR chipset and is not the same as the KT266 on your MSI board. The Kt266A is an improvement on the KT266 and suposedly also fixes the USB problems associated with the older chipset. The big sell on the new chipset is the better memory benchmarks. I'm not sure on how well that will translate in real world performance.

I like the MSI board too but its kinda a pain if you plan on overclocking and using USB. If you don't plan to then your all set its still a great board!

i like what ive read about that 266A northbridge Awsome results but i won't be sold on it until they combine it with the VT8233A southbridge that supports ATA 133. Now with ATA 133 support that will be quite worth the upgrade then. Hopefully Epox will be one on top of it all.

they bomb with the 266 and now they get it right....errr well in a couple of months...talk about the ole dog and pony show...

MSI K7T266 Pro

I have the MSI board with the latest BIOS and all the tweaks and my system can hang with the Best of the Epox's or the AMD 761's. I am running a 1.33 Gig tbird at 10*160 with 3 USB devices with no probs at all.

MSI Board

I am glad that somebody seems to agree. I have seen several people knock the kt266 chipset. While it did suck when it initially came out they have revised it through drivers and bios updates that make it up to par with the other ranking chipsets. While the kt266a does look impressive I to will wait for the Nforce and the others to come out to see how they fair before I decide to purchase another.

I think think the mobo round up that phil is speaking of is on Tom's Hardware. THG also reviewed the KT266A chipset over the Labor Day weekend and came up with pretty much the same results as [H]ardOCP although THG's results were compared to systems of the same nature (i.e. ahtlon systems and not athlons vs P4s or DDR vs RDRAM). THG's preview clearly shows that the new KT266A chipset is ahead of the competition for the time being. But like others have said already in this thread nVidia's nForce chipset is just over the horizon and the hype thus far is making it look good.

Personally, I'm running a T-Bird 1GHz clocked at 1.066GHz (stil air cooling here... but currently investigating water cooling) w/ 256MB PC133 CAS2 memory, and a GeForce2 GTS. Mobo is a Asus A7V133A and is rock solid stable, until the SoCal heat permiates my un air conditioned room. Then and only then does my system not function properly. Couple upgrades i could do while investigating water cooling is change out my Chrome Orb (poor decision didn't know as much about CPU coolers at the time) for a better unit... I think i better stop now before i end up hi-jacking this thread... :D

Back