• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stereo to mono

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sean Lindstrom

I'm building a case and want to mount speakers in the front. I have some cheapo little external speakers at the chopping block, and a space the size of 8 drive bays available.

Being an audio slob, I'm insensible to how the speakers are positioned. I'm even considering splicing both channels into a single speaker, rather than having two side-by-side.

Suggestions?

Nice! I went mono for a while because I couldnt get the right positioning with stereo.
Instead of making the switch to mono through wiring I used Foobar 2k's option to downmix everything to mono.

I'm thinking to have these/this general purpose case front speaker on a switch, then a regular stereo speaker jack so I can still connect real speakers someday. Maybe do that like a headphone jack so it cancels out the speakers it's tapping when you plug it in? Anyone know how that works?

I need to go from the internal motherboard headers, though - L/R outs and L/R returns - 4 pins. The simplicity of that Radio Shack item does suggest I try the obvious solution. I'll splice the two outs, and also the two returns, through one amplified speaker.

Back