• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sanding an AMD 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murp

Registered
Is it possible to sand down the top of an A64? I know you can do it with a Pentium 4 but I wasn't sure if that applied to all other processors or a few that are just thick like that. If anyone could let me know I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Yeah, you can do that. The HS is actually copper under the metallic color. If you sand it down, you will probably get a better contact and a bit better temps. Also if you decide to do it, I recommend u write everything down from what is written on the chip.

mata2974 said:
yes very possible, some guys actually do this when watercooling these CPU's
thats the key, if your watercooling you normaly have a non standard mounting system, so the height change by removing the IHS doesnt really mean much. also, you normaly have less pressure with the springs supplied with waterblocks.

however the standard heatsink and mounting clip wont work without the IHS, from what ive heard, because it wont make proper contact without the IHS.

So I sand down until I see copper or what? This won't be water cooled. Just a good HS.

Wait a minute. Just to ask, but if the core is underneath, and the IHS is just a metal shell, what danger is there? As long as you clean up after you are done, it doesn't seem like there is much danger at all.

Wait a minute, are we talking about lapping the IHS or removing it?

I can't see too much harm in lapping it.

Yeah, I was talking about lapping it, not removing it. There's no way in heck that I would pry a part off of a brand new A64. Now sanding it down....... that's another matter entirely. I've lapped my bare NB down so far that the print on it is completely gone. I had to use 400 grit to finally flatten the bowl for a NB that I have, but I gotter done, and I can set my vdd up to 2V now without worrying.

Yeah, THAT would be a problem. I guess you could find some thick foam and stick it in there. that might work. I'd still be a little nervous about lapping a new chip though. I can say that nothing would happen, but if I had an A64 sitting in my hands, I'd be waxing the top, not sanding it lol :p

I would never do this also taking the IHS off is pointless also i think at least, the A64's are diff a simple 1-2c temp drop doesnt make thier oc any higher. It takes a huge amount for that to happen

I'm seriously considering lapping mine. As I posted elsewhere, mine has scratches on the IHS. But since it is a CG Clawhammer that does 2.453 on 1.5v, I've been advised (here) to just dont RMA it and maybe lap the IHS.

2.453 on 1.5v with aircooling? Yea, id def say you should keep that chip, but let us know if there are any temp improvements from lapping the IHS

Major disadvantage to lapping the heatspreader of an A64: you blow your warranty.

billy_cat said:
I'm seriously considering lapping mine. As I posted elsewhere, mine has scratches on the IHS. But since it is a CG Clawhammer that does 2.453 on 1.5v, I've been advised (here) to just dont RMA it and maybe lap the IHS.
You considered RMAing a CPU because there were scratches on the heatspreader? Answer me this, if it overclocks so well do the scratches matter?

I wouldnt worry about scratches even if thier deap, its not ganna hurt youre temps. The IHS is so big its not like scratches on a Heatsink that is actually over a small Core like the AXPS'. Lapping the IHS like said above will Void ur warrenty im sure you dont want that.

I would never lapp the IHS for such a small reason cuss of scratches. Another reason why i wouldnt do it is cuss i like the way my IHS looks with the AMD writing on it :p

Back