• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does it mean to Unlock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

y0ungsta

Registered
I heard a lot articles of unlocking Amd processors, but i still don't understand the mean of unlocking it. (SOrry to ask i'm a newbie here) Will it proform better? If so how do u do it? In the Forums i heard that there are new model processors from amd that can't be unlocked. It's the ones with the red die.

Do you know what the multiplyer and fsb are? unlocking allows you to select any multiplyer not just the pre-set one, if you don't know what these are I'll explain

I do know what your talking about. Most mobo don't let you overclock as much because they have preset mutilpliers and fsb. HOw do u have more options to change them?

If the board doesn't have the options and only goes off what it detects on the cpu then it isn't easy to change the multiplyer, it involves cutting bridges on the top of the core.

Do you have any information of how to cut the bridges on top? I heard some article about connecting the bridge with a pencil. Does that have something to do with it?

The pencil trick is for conecting up the L1 bridges which disables the multiplyer lock, but this is only for boards with multiplyer options.
I'll have to go find some information on changing the multiplyer with the birdges so back in a bit.

THanks You guys!! SO connecting the L1 bridges makes it unlocked. I heard that there was a conductive pen that could do that, but i forgot it was called.

y0ungsta said:
THanks You guys!! SO connecting the L1 bridges makes it unlocked. I heard that there was a conductive pen that could do that, but i forgot it was called.

Yep, a conductive pen can also be used to close the L1's, but it's much cheaper with the pencil.

What is the best way of Connecting the L1's toghter. Soldering? OR a pencil? Do u know where i can get a conductive pen?

Back