• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To stop This?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

I've a ADSL connection through a usb ADSL modem in my office. Whenever I download a large file and come on next day the line is disconnected. My O/S is windows 2000 pro. so anyone faced this problem? if that so can u let me know how to prevent the mdem from getting disconected automaticaly? Thanks in advance.

Hi Everybody is there anone having any clue about my problem? I read in one MVP website if this happens in windows Xp then it's better to turnoff the power off options for the usb ports and disable the messanger service. I tried both in the windows 2000 also but still i'm facing this problem. I badly need to to fix this out to download the knoppix latest version. So if anyone having a useful url or some info it'll be highly apperciate.

Does it disconnect during file downloads? With Win 200 and a network DSL connection my sometimes drops for like 30 seconds. On my latest install it wasn't a problem for me until I downloaded IE6. The stopwcz command seemed to help(the details are in an article on the main page about windows XP dropping wireless conections), but it still dropped occasionally.

I never truely solved this so for os downloads I use getright www.getright.com and it seems to work really well.

I doubt anyone here is familiar with how your DSL provider in Sri Lanka is setup. They are probably kicking you off due to inactivity( i.e. being idle). Computer going to power saving modes certainly will drop your connection, but that is common sense stuff.

You could try downloading and running some "anti-idle" software that will ping or send some data on the line periodically, tricking your ISP into thinking you are still using the line and not idling.

Hey Bubble,
I wonder if your nic card is shutting off after a while.
My Son's computer is doing that also, but he has cable modem and the company says his modem hasn't kicked off for over a week. His power saving modes are off, but in the morning he has to reboot to get the nic card to turn on.
What is an example of "anti-idle" software? SevenSixTwo Maybe that would work for my son also.

Back