• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOFSETS or southbridge overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaaaaaaaaa

I was thinking about my setup:
2500+M @ 2.4ghz 1.9ghz (lowest stable voltage)
1gb corsair 512x2 pc3200 xms
hard drives etc..
I have the NB1-C installed
cpu temps range from 40idle to 52 load on hotest days,
northbridge 22-30 on those days.

could my mofsets need cooling, or maybe my southbridge chipset be causing the instability when i go to 2.5ghz?

-thanks

yes the mosfets are usially what ull need to cool in this tate (not only the cpu' but look need the ram dimms there should be a few smaller mosfets it would be smart to also slap a hs on them ( there is 1 or 2 of them).
this will help with ram voltage.
the south bridge is fo all your onborad stuff ( just run your your pc for about 1 hr and work it then open it up and feel all the little blck mofets and the south bridge any to hot then HS them

i would recomend getting a pak of the OCZ BGA RAMSKINKS COPPER they really good the BEST.

even if you are running super high speeds your s/b is not overheating, it doesn't change frequency at all, corrections? it runs your pci bus

The southbridge sometimes gets a little warm. I have attached passive S/B heatsinks on the last several mobos, but honestly I haven't noticed much difference. My newest Abit AG8 (LGA775 i915 chipset mobo) came from the factory with a S/B sink on it. I'd be more inclined to sink the mosfets though and perhaps the PLL chip (clock generator).

If you want to get really crazy, there are mosfets on the back, directly under the mosfets by the I/O panel. I've seen a couple guys that not only put a few short heatsinks on those but also installed a fan back there. Of course this entails cutting a hole into your mobo tray but....

I second the suggestion of checking your rails with a multimeter (forget that winbond chip, if anything, its just a rough guide to voltage and temps). If your psu is strong, its possible you just got an underachiever as far as your mobile goes. The fact that you need 1.9v for 2.4GHz could be indicative of either scenario.

I have to have a SB heatsink on mine. It will get warm enough that in games, the sounds crackles constantly, so I definitely needed one. Also, running mosfet heatsinks will help with vcore fluctuations, although you can get the same effect by running a fan over them.

Skeen said:
If you want to get really crazy, there are mosfets on the back, directly under the mosfets by the I/O panel. I've seen a couple guys that not only put a few short heatsinks on those but also installed a fan back there. Of course this entails cutting a hole into your mobo tray but....

No there isn't.

To do so would require ~6mm of clearance, which would almost certainly ground stuff out on the chassis.

What they DO do by cooling the backside is cool the PCB that the MOSFETs are attached to.

L337 M33P said:
No there isn't.

To do so would require ~6mm of clearance, which would almost certainly ground stuff out on the chassis.

What they DO do by cooling the backside is cool the PCB that the MOSFETs are attached to.

Yeah you're right I misunderstood. There aren't any mosfets under there but this fella did cut a hole in the mobo tray and stick them to the PCB and installed a small 60mm fan.

I'll try to find a pic.

yes the south bridge HS is only need if u want to or if your onboard sound or pci is acting a bit weird. (put one on just for the heck of it =P and yes batboy your right even thouhg it doesnt get hot it does get warm u can feel the hs after a bit and u can tell that the hs is doing some work

i put a cheapo passive cooling hs on my southbridge. it actually helped a bit. if im not mistaken which i probably am. the southbridge is the bridge between the pci bus the hard drives and such to the cpu. it could get a little warmer due to puter use. but it never hurts to cool extra ****

enduro said:
2.3 Ghz on a mobile? Do you have a bad stepping or low voltage?

v is fine runing it high now. i ment the fsb ocing. cant get my mobo above 200 :( wating to add some better cooling on the to push past 2.3 with the multy. i was always told adding cooling to the mosfets and PLL could helb with raising the fsb...

Back