• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing 9800 NP max clock speed.. should I be worried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nocturnal212

Registered
I have a 9800 NP 128mb Atlantis and I'm using ATITool to test the max core clock speed and it's at 420 mhz (I think the default is around 300) right now with no errors. How high should I go without worrying about overheating or failure?

I think the default core clock is 325mhz. Are you using stock cooling? I guess if your not getting any artifact in games or 3dmark keep going.

I have my gigacube 9800np running at 415/315 right now. Atitool says it can do a max of 456/328 but I backed it off a bit just to feel safe.....

ATItool is weird sometime, a 9800pro I have I can't get my memories to stable at xt stock speed but when I flashed my pro to XT it ran at stock speed just fine without any artifact, hell it goes even higher.

DBZ said:
ATItool is weird sometime, a 9800pro I have I can't get my memories to stable at xt stock speed but when I flashed my pro to XT it ran at stock speed just fine without any artifact, hell it goes even higher.

The flash to the xt might of loosened the timing on the mem. Which in turn will let you clock higher.

Good clocks so far. If you don't fully trust atitool, double check with 3dmark03/05. So long as you aren't artifacting, keep pushing it. I've got a 9800np up to 440 core and 405 ram, so high clocks are definitely possible.

nocturnal212 said:
I have a 9800 NP 128mb Atlantis and I'm using ATITool to test the max core clock speed and it's at 420 mhz (I think the default is around 300) right now with no errors. How high should I go without worrying about overheating or failure?

Overheating is subjective to what kind of case and video card cooling you have. If you have a good ambient temp, you can pretty much keep that card cool with default heatsink and fan. As far as how high you can overclock before it get's too hot? That's purely up to you, since you are the one that can see the temps as you overclock the card.

Thanks guys. I turned everything down and am now running ATITool again and monitoring my temps at the same time (I just rewired all my hardcano, the company that put it together had everything all backwards). The sensor is telling me it's at 40 deg C at 400/300 so I think it's safe. I'm considering flashing the bios to a pro, but I tried it before and couldn't find one that worked. Nevermind about that though I'll start a new thread.

Back