• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FTP problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rick_323

Registered
I am closing out a old ftp account and trying to delete all files from my storage space. I have three files (picture files) that it wont let me delete.I keep getting invalid file name error.. I have tried to rename them and still get same error.. what can I do to delete these files.. thanks..

do they have a vaild file name?
you might want to try to FTP in from the command prompt and del the files using an 8.3 DOS filename, that can sometimes help

thanks for the reply but I have no idea how to ftp in from command prompt. any info on how to do so is greatly appreciated..

start -> run -> CMD [enter]

c:\> ftp 192.168.0.1 [enter]

then login acordingly

Put move a file to the FTP
Get get a file from the FTP
del remove a file from the FTP

is says could not get files status of file when I try through dos on my server ..

Just out of curiosity, are you using a software firewall? If so, you may wish to either add to ip of the ftp server to your trusted zones/dmz or temporarily disable the firewall to fully access the ftp server.

using a router and sygate.. when sygate asks for permission to ftp site I give it permission... router dosent seem to be causing me any issues.. I deleted all my files except for three of them and I get invalid file name errors when I try to delete through dos or through IE.. Im gonna call old ISP and tell them to delete them and see if they can,...lol

Could it be file attributes/permissions? I know 'nix' hosts don't particularily like spaces in file names.(ie my file name.whatever) . If the file names have spaces try and enclose the file name in quotes, this usually works.

Back