• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver II Onto a AMD T-bird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatKirby

I haven't gotten my processor yet. I haven't even ordered it yet. I'm just making sure I know exactly what i'm getting into before I do it.
I've seen pictures of AMD processors and Intel processors.
The Intel processors have a die that sticks out, and the rest of it is smoothe. It seems like all of the instructions for applying arctic silver 2 is for intel processors, because they say put the stuff onto the die of the processor only.
But AMD processors look like they have other small bumps (chips) on the top. Also, it looks like that there's 4 black circles, one on each corner.

I guess since I haven't seen a 3d-model of the processor, I'm a little concerned about how I would go about applying the arctic silver 2 and attaching the heatsink. Can someone please help me put a rest to my concerns?

oh eitehr intel's or AMD's processor you only need to apply the thermal compound onto the CPU core which is the center reletivly large square. [that's called the core]

Yes, Train22 is correct. You need to apply the Arctic Silver II to the "core" in the center of the chip. You can tell that this is the core because it has the number for the chip on it, which will look something like this:

A1400AMS3C
AYHJA0125FPCW
Y649790349

Those four dark-ish colored circles on the corners are small pads to keep heat sinks from crushing the core. The other bumps on the processor do not need arctic silver applied onto them.

I hope you read this before you mount the heatsink:

GO SLOW!!!

AMD cpus are easy to break. take it easy.
ok? ok.

Back