• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expensive Mobile Death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

My 2500 mobile (in my sig) gave up the ghost yesterday- that's bad enough, but somehow it also took my 9600 Pro AIW video card with it. The system was idle, and when I came back, it was beeping that 2 tone siren. Unable to recover, the cpu would not take any more than the NF-7s default settings- no matter what I did.

I ended up putting in a 1.4 TBird & Ti4200 while I await delivery of a 2600 mobile I ordered from Newegg.

It's too bad- this mobile was one of the earliest steppings that easily overclocked to 2.6ghz on air. I just hope I have as much luck with my new 2600. And I can't replace the 9600 Pro AIW since it is discontinued. Looks like a 9800 Pro AIW for Christmas....

Can't see how it would die unless you lost a fan or something. Sounds more like a power surge or something on the phone line... Maybe some extra volts from your PSU made your mobo's Vcore and Vagp go mad... Hard luck mate.

my cooling is good, a Torin blower mod- and I don't think it was a surge, I'm well protected there. I'm thinking the mobile just had enough of the 1.93v vcore and crapped out. It wasn't a heat issue, all the fans were running. The weird thing is how this killed the 9600 AIW. The card got totaly fubarred - I popped it into my 2nd rig and the video card killed THAT mobo (an old ecs K7VZA).

Who knows, maybe the video card killed the mobile.

:cry: I feel for you man, that sucks. I had a AXP-M die on me too. Good luck with the new one. Although it is quite odd that it took out your video card too. Kind of sounds like a PSU situation to me. If you're PSU isn't supplying proper voltages, it can destroy other system components.

My new 2600 mobile just arrived from Newegg -

IQYHA 0434 APAW

Results to come......

itshondo said:
IQYHA 0434 APAW
Never heard of that one before but i'm sure it will rock :attn: It's an IQYHA so its probable going to clock way better than ur 2500 (when it was still alive ofcourse ;))

if the 2600 is better than my dead 2500, it's gonna be a monster- I ran that 2500 at 2630 mhz for 11 months.

I installed the 2600- doing a mild break in today, set to 12 X 200 @ 1.7 vcore, 32 c idle - more to come....

my cooling is good, a Torin blower mod- and I don't think it was a surge, I'm well protected there. I'm thinking the mobile just had enough of the 1.93v vcore and crapped out

Thats unlikely, bcz I operate mine @2.25 volts 9 mths no problem. Try it in another mobo, did you try to raise the insocket temp probe?

I tried everything- I'm 99.99% sure the mobile s**t the bed. The temp robe was adjusted 2 or 3 times while I troubleshot the problem.

And all processors are not alike- we've only been running these mobiles for 11-12 mos and they are starting to fail.

My 2500 that died also ran pretty hot (compared to others) and required more voltage to maintain 2.6 ghz.

Don't be surprised if your chip dies throwing that much juice at it.

I wouldn't have complete blind faith in sparkle either, I just RMA'd mine (FSP-530 GNA) after going through two motherboards and a cd rom drive. It was completely stable for seven months too...

I tracked the voltages (MBM) and measured the rails with a digital mulimeter.

The 2500 just died guys-

Skip that 9800 AIW for christmas and pick up the 6600 GT when it is out on AGP instead :) Much larger gains for the same (if not less) price.

does that 6600GT have a TV Tuner and all the AIW gizmos like the 9800? I use this card for heavy gaming as well as video importing.

I'll have to look up the GT.

I can't find a vid card with the Nvidia chipset that does what the AIW does.

Back