• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Zion - Video Editing Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks good to me. Some trade offs there with regard to the CPU and cooling with pros and cons on both sides of the argument. I think it's your money and you will have to make those decisions. If you run the 2700x at stock with prism cooler you are less likely to have problems with running the RAM at full frequency, especially if you add more down the line. Overclocking the CPU makes running high speed memory more challenging.

My parts list pretty much stayed the same. I came in over budget after taxes, but I think it will be worth it. My only issue now is falling down the rabbit whole of just one more little upgrade. Though, I may end up swapping out the GPU for the Strix RTX 2060 just to balance the build a little better and meet my OCD requirements. I went with the 2700x with the stock cooler in the end. I finally found some bench marks of a R5 2600 overclocked with an aio to 4.2ghz all cores. The stock 2700x was still able to outperform it in the areas I needed for a work station. So, sooner or later an aio and the overclock is in my future, but not just yet. All parts are ordered and will be here tomorrow. Sleep is going to be a bit short until then and I will post a build log once everything is together. Thanks for all of the help, seriously.

Project Zion
Final Build List:

Ryzen 2700x - Prism Cooler
Asus Republic of Gamers X470 Strix-F
G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 - 3200mhz (Samsung B chips)
Asus Republic of Gamers Strix GTX 1660 ti 6GB
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
WD Blue 7200rpm - 1tb
Corsair RM850x - 80+ Gold
Noctua NF-P14 Redux Fans x 6
DeepCool Matrexx55

That's the thing. Going with the 2700x avoids all the hassle and uncertainty of overclocking the 2600 and gives more performance to boot at approximately the same price when you take into account cooling.

Back