• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tyan's Dual CPU, SLi Mobo, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VAdept

Im looking to completely upgrade my setup soon and I will be going 939, nForce4, and, SLi. What im wondering is if a dual CPU setup will offer any real advantage. I need to get more up to speed on this sort of thing but I figured I would ask.

As for what I run a little of everything, Doom 3, MP3 editing apps, office apps, I pretty much do everything on the PC. Here is an image of the Tyan dual mobo. Here is a little more info on the board itself. I have a feeling this will be fantastically expensive but I have a budget of about $2.5K to work with. I would like some impressions from people using dual setups. I will be looking this up tonight but I might as well post a few short questions. Will I need a special OS version for dual CPU? and could a PC Power & Cooling 510 even power this?

First you will only see the difference of having two cpus if your multitasking, and if the application your using it multithreaded, other wise you shouldn't see any improvement. answering the os question, if you have winxp it will support up to 2 physical cpus and 2 virtual cpus (hyperthreaded P4s). Just so you know you will be paying a little extra for those opteron cpus. But for the amount of money your willing to spend I'd would get it, but video card would be my priority.

Alright, sounds good. I will be running 6800 GT's (OC'ed to Ultras of course). Currently im running the BFG 6800 GT OC but I will be selling it before I build the new system (its AGP). If I go dual CPU I will have to put off the second vid card for a bit but I should be able to swing it.

btw you would be going socket 940 if you went dual cpu, unless it changes with nforce 4. Also the rig would require regestered memory. That powersupply would be fine. W2k Xp pro Server 2000 Server 2003 are all fine, or any linux with a good smp kernel. Honestly I doubt for everyday usage the cost would outweigh the benefits..

Back