• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA Silencer Rev3 vs ATI Silencer 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawk2k2

Registered
OK I am thoroughly confused, they seem like the same thing, but there is a difference in price. Which one?

I have an Gecube 9800 PRO 128MB

Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev 3
Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 1

Here's the link to Arctic Cooling Website:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php

Looks like there are just more specs on the Silencer 1, like how it tells of its surface area. Is there a difference?

I am also probly gonna get some tweakmonster ramsinks since i cnt find any OCZ copper ones stocked anywhere is aus

Thanx
Hawk

id go w/the rev 3.
it should be somewhat better because it the newest and the heatsink is bigger along w/a differant fan design.

yeah thats wot i though also. but isnt copper better? cause the ati silencer 1 is copper. but then agn the vga silencer is bigger and also has 2 fan speed options

I chose the rev.3 version because it had a bigger mass. It allowed me to get XT speeds outta my pro, without artifacts running ati tool and that program I can never remember the name of (different objects spinning, varying exposure, so on). The rev.3 is also less expensive. The one hitch: I had to lap the mating surface. It had bad machine marks when I got it.

only xt speeds? im running xt speeds on stock cooling atm. but my default was 398/350

no it doesnt list it as compatible on a xt. u will have to get ati silencer 3 or something which comes with memory cooling

the rev3 will not work on a 9800xt from the factory.... however a flashed pro will work just fine. There is a compacitor or something that gets in the way on the xt (it has nothing to do with clock speeds or anything like that). The pro is fine..... I've not seen one review that shows any of the ati silencers to be any better than the old rev 3.

Back