• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

odd RAM problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rabidchicken

Ok on my work laptop Sony Via 733 mhtz 128MB ram it randomlay restarts and crashes (no BSOD, just freezes with lines and random characters all over) sometimes not posting. one of these times i got the AMI beep code for video or RAM (8beeps) leading me to believe an obvious ram problem... however the last 4 hours of my shift the worked just fine even when i got bored and started running everything i could at once to try to overload it... once i wake up ill try memtest (14 hour shift with drive time, need sleepy)... im positive this is a RAM problem but id like some other opinions
thanks

trying to avoid IT, if i take it to them theyll likely just chuck it and ill have to wait another 4 months for another old comp to get handed down... i think im just gonna try to ebay some ram for it if that doesnt work then take it to em

Why don't you run the memtest to verify that is exaclty mem problem or something else. What kind of enviroment ya using the computer? If u're not having proper ventaltion or it is a hot enviroment defenitely machine can get overheated and shutdown due to the heat protection systems in notebook computers. So pay attention to the heat in the machine.

Back