• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Scanjet 2100c problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Hello,
I have a HP Scanjet 2100c scanner. It is only about 3 years old and originally cost about $160. It was one of the nicer scanners out there. I have the latest driver for my operating system Windows XP Pro installed.

Here is my problem. When I try to use the scanner, it says "Scanner not found" and trying to initialize like the scanner is not even plugged in. Also, for some strange reason, the light in the scanner never shuts off and just sits there "on".

I thought it was the USB cable not being connected well or something similar. I unplugged all the other USB devices and switched ports, restarting every try and no luck. I am probably sure it's not the USB cord because Windows XP Pro can recognise that there is a printer installed and I can still use it with the "New Hardware Wizard". Every time I try to use it with the HP software, the software pops up fine, but the computer can't find the scanner?

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the software with restarts a few times with no luck. I tried unplugging and then re-installing and then replugging the scanner in with various combinations and no luck. The only way to shut off the light, (the light is on when it's not even being used,) is to unplug the USB port or the power source for the scanner. I wonder why the scanner just started acting up all of the sudden? I hope it's not because of electrical damage? (Note: I have the scanner plugged into a breaker fuse power source that's plugged into another breaker source so I doubt that would be it.)

It's really annoying to use the Scanner Wizard this way. Has anyone else had this problem?

scanners usually come with a power-saving feature through software...

as far as your lack of being able to connect to it - have you tried it in another computer?

I was going to try to hook my laptop to it to try and see if that would work. It's in another room though so I gotta unplug a ton of things from it first but good idea.

Back