• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need SB coolign for my MOBO and my oc ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ongmomo said:
my specs are as listed below..thankyou

You could've asked me this on MSN :)

Southbridge cooling is usually never necessary on a P4 architecture. It won't hurt anything, but the southbridge controls the I/O devices, AFAIK.

*But on AMD systems, doesn't the southbridge control different functions than on P4 systems? I know that A64 systems have an integrated memory controller on the CPU itself, and -someone- said they don't have a northbridge (huh?)...but since you're not on A64: (not familar with barton...)

As far as the southbridge itself:
The best way to find out is to *carefully* touch the southbridge chip or heatsink (Please exercise ALL antistatic precautions...ground yourself by touching the side of the case, first) right after turning off the computer, and see if it feels hot. If it's not even warm, then you don't. If it is hot, then it will be useful.

Is there anything on the SB right now? How does it feel (temp?) if not, then it might not be urgent to get something on it, unless you are getting problems with I/O devices or if the chip is getting hot.

I would recommend, if you need cooling, to get the zalman passive northbridge heatsink. (NB4xxJ? I forgot the model number). You can always throw a small fan on it if you need to. :clap: But again, if it isn't that warm to begin with, it won't make any difference.

If your southbridge is bare, any old "Greenie" northbridge heatsink will be fine, passive or not...

Were you having any problems with your I/O devices?

Anything more then stock cooling on the SB is usually overkill.
If your worried make your own heatsink out of an old P1 or P2 heatsink or something and stick it on there with some epoxy. Passive cooling is more then enough, no need for any active cooling on the SB

[KX3]rAge said:
Anything more then stock cooling on the SB is usually overkill.
If your worried make your own heatsink out of an old P1 or P2 heatsink or something and stick it on there with some epoxy. Passive cooling is more then enough, no need for any active cooling on the SB
I think you're getting SB and NB confused. His mobo doesn't offer stock SB cooling.

The sb on my a7n8x-e deluxe managed to get fairly warm. I just stuck a passive heatsink on there with some epoxy now and the heatsink is barley warm.

Yeah, I really wouldn't bother with the southbridge.
I was bored today, so I ripped off the connector holes off a BX northbridge heatsink and was going to mount it to my southbridge, but the thing is too large to mount (it would fit but the heatsink sort of dwarfs the southbridge), and I don't know if it would interfere with PCI cards or not, so I didn't bother.

Instead, I used pliers to tear apart a thin copper ramsink, and AS5'd and superglued it to my ICS clockgen. If you're going to cool anything, cool the clockgen...never hurts......

Back