• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LSI 150-6 Sata RAID Q

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkfeet

Registered
Hi guys, I recently finished building my dual xeon nocona + asus ncch-dl and been waiting for a good pci-x sata raid card for a few weeks now. I want to run raid5 to store my dvds, vcds, and mp3s which totals to around 1gig. I have them currently stored on 4 250gig pata ide drives with no backups so I am worried I will lose a drive soon.

I did some research and all of the pci-x sata raid 6+ controllers has either no onboard memory, onboard xor chipset, or even ncq support. Originally I was going to get me a raidcore 8 port, but I didnt want my card to be cpu dependant. I didnt want to wait anymore so I bought me a LSI 150-6 6 port sata raid card today at zipzoomfly for less then $300. I read a few reviews, and found it to be a good card but too bad its not pci-x.

Im wondering what everyone opinion of a raid5 setup with the lsi card, and 5 300gig maxtor diamondmax 10, 16mb cache.

Thanks to some advice at 2cpu.com, I went with the raidcore controller. If anyone is interested, I will be using 5 300gig 16mb cache diamondmax drives for raid5. Ill post benchmarks in a few days once I get the drives tomorrow.

What are you doing with the LSI 150-6? I read through your post on 2cpu.com as well since I was looking at going RAID5 in the future (and looking at both of those cards to boot).

Back