• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram heatsink is resisting!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shuRe

Im desperate to see if i have tccd ram or not, but cant get the ram heatsinks off to see the chips. I have tried heating them up with a hairdrier, but dont want to bust them up by heating them up too much, and when looking under the ram heatsinks it doesnt seem like it is actually in contact with the chips, rather the top of the ram module.

Can ne1 help out?

(the ram is in my sig, part number is cmx512-3200LL and defualt speeds are 2-3-2-6)

Thanks

what do u mean by freezing exactly? do u mean putting them in an air tight bag and putting them in the freezer?? wouldnt this cause condensation of the air inside the bag to bugger up the chips?

Quite a few people do this. Just take the heatspreaders off, after freezing, and if you're worried. Just let them sit out and dry for a while before putting them back in. Looking at your default timings though, I'd say that you have something else. Not to be a kill joy or anything. TCCD tends to be 2-2-2-5 stock. Still though, might as well check it out and see what you have.

I think you have BH-5. I made a mistake on your other thread. I thought you have 3200XL but you have 3200LL. If you can run 2-2-2-10 with a 1T comand rate, then you have BH-5.

i would love to think i had bh-5 but i thought i went out of production 2 years ago (i brought my ram about 4 months ago). Also its v3.1 rather that 1.1 which i think is bh-5

Im buying some bh-5, and am possibly going to sell it on or use it myself depending on what these chips are

i havnt tried it yet, i get my dfi 250gb mob 2night so will be able to see how far the ram goes at tight timing (limited to 220 fsb at the mo cause no pci/agp locks). Then 2night ill wak one of my 512s in the freezer and then see in the morning.

Is there any danger of me heating the modules too fast after they have been frozen? should i just let them heat up in room temp?

I'd let them heat to room temp after you take the heatspreaders off, just to be on the safe side. Otherwise you might have some condensation build up. Better safe than sorry.

Don't heat them up, just pry off the ramsinks after you freeze them. Make sure all the water has completely evaporated from your sticks of ram before you use them again.

Back