• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going for gold (3.0e@ 4ghz), need ram advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adi

Registered
Hi

I know this is the kind of question asked a million times

but what ram should I get to run at 267FSB+ 1:1 which is what I need to get 4ghz. Currently stable @ 250fsb. The latencies on the PC3200 are low, but not garunteeeed to clock that high. I'm thinking PC4200 atm, like corsair or ocz around 2.5-3-3-8 (ocz platinum best I can find) timings is this a wise choice?

Well you can go with the TCCD and have no worries or you can go with something like OCZ PC4400 and be sure you will get there. If the TCCD gets there you will have a little tighter timings but at that fsb it really doesn't matter much. Timings aren't a big issue when you get that high.

My OCZ PC4000 EL Gold Rev.2 will run 280mhz at 2.8V..... 3-4-4-8 timings. I agree with wannaoc, when you're running your memory that fast, timings don't make much of a difference.... loosening the timings dropped my memory score by 200, but I gained over 1000 just by overclocking it.

The PC4400 would be guaranteed to at least be stable at 275 though... you might check out this anandtech review and look at the best overclocking ram.

Here's a page with the highest overclocking memory to date.

Anandtech

You'll notice that the Shikatronics seems to get the highest overclock.... running at 290mhz 1:1.

k thanks
Ive got a few weeks to decide here before i have the $$$. That OCZ RAM is one I'm definitely considering. From memory Corsair do a same timings alternative for much cheaper here in Aus.

Back