• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc2700 to pc3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YOO

hello i was wondering if change to pc3200, am i gonna see any performence change at all? i have an abit nf7-s v 2.0, athlon xp 2800+ overclocked to 2115mhz..i know is not much overclock :rolleyes: but thats all i can do hehe..
anyways so should i change to pc3200 or not? and how much performence would i get? thanks :santa2:

what multiplier and FSB are you running at? The ram will only help you if you are not satisfied with your memory timings or your current memory is keeping you from raising your fsb.

edit= If i were you, i would set my ram frequency low and see how high you get get your cpu frequency. Once you have that number then you can go and buy ram that will perform at that speed. My guess is that you will max out around 210-230 MHz which most name brand pc3200 ram can OC to. However your pc2700 might go that high too. There are too many variables here. Post your full system specs and we can go from there.

Last edited:
yeah its entirely possible your pc-2700 can run at the same speed as pc-3200. At the very least you should try finding the fastest speed your memory is capable of and then make the decision on whether or not you want to buy new ram.

ok, that is a very low fsb. Is that as high as you could get it? I know your board is good for overclocking, so you should take advantage of it. Try to see how high your ram can go by lowering your multi to 10.5.

If that is as high as you can go than you would benefit from pc3200 ram (assuming you have good cooling).

Is your cpu multiplier unlocked? meaning can you change it? if you can lower it than you can definitely run it at 200+mhz.

well i dont think i have very good coolin. i replace the stock thermal paste with
artict silver 5. and i have a thermaltake sink with fan. i just found out that thermaltake is not very good for coolin the processor.i have one fan the side of case takin cool air in, i have one fan on top and on back to take hot air out of case..im a noob at this stuff. this is the first time i biuld a computer on my own.
i know there is something called water cooling but i dont wanna go into that stuff, is too advance for me. my temp for my prcessor when playing gets to 124*f before it was 130* (thanks actict silver 5 :clap: ).anyways i just wanted to push my processor above 2008mhz. now is 2113 or something like that.thats whath everest says. thats good for me but if you guys think i can get higher, hey i would be willing to try it :cool: but how about raisin my multi. to 13 or 13.5?

Last edited:
thermaltakes are pretty good for air coolers. they arent the best but they do pretty well. You should have a copper one though. I dont know F temps too well, but as long as you are under 60C under load, you are ok. You may want to get one more intake fan for the front of your case, cus it sounds like you have two case fans blowing out plus power supply and only one coming in.

Forget about raising the multi. Your focus should be raising the front side bus, even if you have to lower your multi to do it. You will see much better performance that way.

edit= I lowered my multi from 12.5 to 12 in order to raise my fsb from 166 to 182 and I saw 10% gains in benchmarking across the board :santa:

hes running pretty hot there at 51c....i think without risking some damage or short life, his overclocking's stuck til he gets better cooling. iv heard that the blow holes that redirect the hot air from the cpu to a fan outside works wonders, maybe you could look into doing that? that would drop ur temps a bit
but 51c is gettin a bit hot there on load, i guess you could go a bit higher, maybe 55c load
but u dont wanna get too close to 60c...
i get worried when mine runs at 35c lol

well i happy on how my pc is right now :bday: i wont try anything else until know what im doin. thanks :beer:

also my temp on my prcessor on load is 40*c. but when is runing a while like when i play ut2004 goes to 50*c. by the way do u guys have your case out in the open? or in a cabinet with a door?

YOO said:
also my temp on my prcessor on load is 40*c. but when is runing a while like when i play ut2004 goes to 50*c. by the way do u guys have your case out in the open? or in a cabinet with a door?

means your temp under load is 50C as oppesed to 40C. your proc prob didn't have enough time "warm up" with 40C. and your vid card may have been tossing in alot heat if you have a hot one.

out in the open!!! the air volume in a closed cabinet would heat up raising the ambient raising the core etc much to quickly. I don't think i'd wanna put it in one even with a non oc'd proc.

oh and welcome to the forums :attn:

Last edited:
as far as temps go, you can lower your multi and raise your fsb so that it is roughly the same total speed. That wont raise the temps (at least it didnt on my rig).

hey ill try your settingsthen facialicious.(12x182)? i bet my memory and my pc can handle that :bday: if not im gonna go back to where i was :D ...my question is. should i go and change it quick or go raise it slowly?

on by the way. i place my pc on the open and played ut2004 for like an hour and the temp was reduced alot..its at 42c and steady..yay before was 50*c or so :p

Last edited:
Back