• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer freezing on floppy access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Pardon the backstory, but I think it may be important :)

A few weeks ago, I was having stability issues with my computer. The thing would BSOD randomly, and I was getting kinda annoyed. It seemed to be a power issue, with my HD making a distinct "thunk", spinning up, and then the computer freezing. The drive's SMART attribute "Power On Count" would also increase by one each time, somewhat confirming this. I was about ready to purchase a new PSU, but the thing froze again, and when I got into windows, all my programs were laggy. I found out my drive went into PIO mode from Windows encountering too many data errors, so I put it back to DMA and switched my HD cable with my CD cable (which are both pre-rounded ATA-133 cables).

Swapping the cables seemed to fix my stability problems, though the thunking would still occur (without causing a freeze) randomly. The only way I can reliably reproduce the thunking is to access my floppy of all things ( :confused: :confused: ), which also is the only way the thunking will still cause my computer to freeze. It still smells of a power issue, though I'm having a hard time believing my floppy draws THAT much power (especially when the computer won't thunk durring games!).

Any other things that may be causing this you can think of? I'll get a new PSU if needed, but that will take a while to get here, so any things I could try right away would be great :)

JigPu

dont know if this will help but when my computer was having problems and would freeze when trying to access a floppy come to find out i had to flip the ide cable over as my floppy has 2 notches for it to fit and i had it in upside down...

Back