• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1400 running to hot for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth

This is the first AMD rig I have built(I don't know why) I have built my last intel rig after seeing the difference, anyway's on to the subject at hand, as this is my first AMD rig, I have no idea what temps should be, after running FAH for about 1hr temps are at 57c and I idle around 46c, I this normal for the AMD's, I know if my celly got this hot I would be concerned. My setup is as follows

AMD 1.4ghz (266)
WD 40gb 7200rpm
GF2 MX 400
enermax 350w PSU
volcano 5 HSF
256mb crucial DDR
ECS K7S5A MoBo

I have not yet O/Ced this chip everything is @ default, mt thought is replace the volcano fan with a delta or YS tek 60mm case temps are 27c so I don't think that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

What is your case cooling like? Also, are you using thermal paste or the pad that came on the heatsink? The Volcano isn't the greatest heatsink, but I think it should be doing better than that at stock speed.

Hot Hot Hot

Get a better heat sink for the chip. Temps over 45 celcius inhibit full performance. I know mine folds at 59 celcius!!!:D

The volcano didn't come with a thermal pad, I am using some cheap compound I got at radio shack untill my artic silver II comes in, and thoes temps are with open case, I am scared to put the side panel back on with temps this high, I am used to intel, I think they run cooler. Is this chip safe @ this temp, it is for a friend and will not be overclocked at all.

The chip won't fry at those temps, but you're close to the point where stability could start falling if the temps get much higher. I would put the side on and run Prime95 for a while to make sure everything's fine. I think that with decent case cooling and no o/c you should be fine.

Thanks sfa ok, that's what I was looking for, also what is a good temp for the AMD's, I will be building me one soon, O/Ced of course.

Overclocked, it's wise to stay under 50c for a good o/c and stability. You need good cooling, especially if you're bringing the core voltage up.

Edit: Woohoo! That was my 1000th post!

Back