• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I disable E Cores on Win 11 for a 13700K with a z690-p Asus Prime motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jarablue

Registered
I want to maybe slightly overclock. I have disabled all my e cores except 1. I am running Win 11.

Is this okay if I want to eek out better temps, oc and general gaming performace?

Will I be gimping my rig by doing this? Or should I just enable them again?

As far as I understand, only a few/some games benefit from disabling the e-cores. You can try a comparison and see if it affects the titles you play and see.

I leave them enabled.

I thought disabling them would help with temps and make the IPC of the p cores slightly higher leading to better gaming performance. Or was that disabling hyperthreading that did that? I left 1 e core enabled but will change it if need be.

I thought MORE games benefited from disabling e cores than less.

Last edited:
Disabling e-cores doesn't increase IPC. IPC is IPC is IPC for that architecture. Disabling HT can also benefit some games, not all, and I don't think most. The differences you're talking about are, for the most part, not something I'd chase...

...unless it's a game you commonly play and chasing after FPS, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Win11 is supposed to be pretty good at handling the P and E cores. If you were on something older it might make more sense. What system are you running and what games are you playing at what resolution? Are you're games even CPU limited in the first place?

What cooler do you have? The E cores are just that E-fficcient, so if you're trying to lower temps so you can OC higher, focus on cooling the P cores better.

What cooler do you have? The E cores are just that E-fficcient, so if you're trying to lower temps so you can OC higher, focus on cooling the P cores better.

This. Iirc, the E cores are similar to Atom cores. So disabling them means shaving off *maybe* 5w of heat.

Any extra cooling headroom leading to a higher OC won't be noticeable.

This. Iirc, the E cores are similar to Atom cores. So disabling them means shaving off *maybe* 5w of heat.

Any extra cooling headroom leading to a higher OC won't be noticeable.
It isn't a lot, but more than 5W at full load (~30+).

EDIT: Worth noting, at less loads, it's less, so there's that.

122765.png

Last edited:
Back