• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darthanakin23

O.K. I have DDR400 RAM and a Northwood P4 3.0Ghz and I just got a MSI 865PE neo-2 motherboard, Is there anyway I can overclock my processor without overclocking my RAM? When I overclock and my RAM goes over 400 then it starts being unstable, and is that D.O.T. option safe to use? like if i put performance on Fast and then DOT to sergeant and have it set to CPU/AGP so it does it to both is this safe?

Drop divider, didn't this get covered in your other thread? You can't ONLY clock the CPU in otherwords, FSB affects both CPU/Memory.

The bios

The bios doesnt have a divider option, do you think that DOT feature is safe to turn on and put performance on fast?

dont use dot just set the mem frequency to 333 and you will be at the 5/4 divider and you will get 250 (assuming you cpu handles that) and also the pci/agp should be locked at 33/66 or something close to that and you could get a really good overclock and most ddr400 will do at least 10 to 20 mhz over stock unless it is really bad.

edit: also try giving your ram about 2.6 to 2.8 volts and you might be able to get over 400

just my .02

O.k.

O.K. If I set my RAM to 333mhz and if i get my FSB to 240 and then my RAM mhz is at 400, then I'm not overclocking the RAM right? since by default its at 400 and i lowered it to 333 so i can get my FSB to 240, thats perfectly fine right?

correct and i have never heard of ram that will not run lower than rated speeds but you take a little performance hit from the divider but not if you up it to 400mhz it will not be bad and you will not notice it very much

Back