• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on exhaust and intake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zamac_man

Registered
Right now I have four case fans for my computer. I have one exhaust in the back and one on the top. I have an intake on the front and side. I was thinking about doing THIS for my processor cooling. It is where you do the duct to it. Anyways that would mean I would have to make my rear exhaust an intake. Would only one exhaust be bad?

yes.

You should either have
a) about the same CFM on intake and exhaust, or,
b) wide open passive intake or exhaust (no obstruction in your case either.)

With one exhaust + 3 intake, total airflow will be approximately the CFM of that exhaust (plus a little bit.) That is probably not what you want.

the wesson

I checked out the link, and I'm thinking possibly instead of the CPU duct blowing in, you could have it blow out. And keep all of the case fans as they are now.

06_Case_Open_Duct.jpg

I would also suggest curving out the corners on the inside of the plastic, possibly with paper or duct tape, to "guide" air through the duct.
:burn:

I put my hand right above the video card which is a little below the rear fan and that is the warmest spot. Should I lower the fan down a little so that it is closer to the video card? The fan is blowing warm air out but the top fan is not blowing any hot air out. :bang head

Wouldn't that be a cause of negative pressure within the case? for all intents and purposes the {intake cfm = exhaust cfm} for it to work.

IWasHungry said:
I checked out the link, and I'm thinking possibly instead of the CPU duct blowing in, you could have it blow out. And keep all of the case fans as they are now.

That's Del's duct idea only theirs has a curved surface to direct air towards the back. Perhaps you could try using a piece of cardboard and curve it so the air flows more naturally backwards. Also the air space above the exhaust fan would be a vacuum area which would impede air flow. Maybe try some cardboard to curve that area down towards the exhaust fan, or make the exhaust fan bigger.

Back