• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to get for modding practice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beta_mouse

I'm wondering what gauge aluminum I should get for cutting up...something similar to an aluminum case. I need dremel practice since I've never used one before and I'm not gonna operate on a hundred dollar case without experience :p Thanks for the response!

The simpler the better! Its fairly difficult to make designs in a case go away, but its very easy to add spunk to a drab one. Dremels are great for cleanup but the bulk of the work is done with tin snips, jigsaws, and hole saws.

The best thing to do is to come up with a design plan and then look for a case that can accomodate it. Newegg has some good cheap cases that you can play with.

I'd highly recommend roadway signs for practice. Erm, at least something just like them... Most aluminum cases are made with ~1/16th inch thick aluminum, and that stuff is easy to get in small sizes. I'd not suggest full-scale practice, since big aluminum sheets can be pricey and relatively hard to get.

The other advice I'll give is that make sure you'll like the casemod in the future, since not every fasion endures for long. Also, always make sure that if you mess up, you can either re-order that part or live with the blemish. Otherwise you'll regret doing it forever and not be able to enjoy the rest of the casemods. As for practcing with the dremil, I'd suggest that you try as many 'high-risk' manuvers as you can think of, since it's always that one certain cut/grind you didn't expect that screws you & your project over.

Thanks HiProfile! I'm going to Home Depot or a hardware store to pick up some aluminum sheets of that thickness. Then I'm gonna try using the dremel and flexshaft to see which one is easier. I'm cutting a blowhole at the top so it will be done on the main case itself. I'll take care to sand the last 1/8'' or so to avoid bad cuts.

Back