• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8N Neo2 Platinum: Can't load win98se from S-ATA drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alecela

Registered
I'm contemplating the K8N Neo2 Platinum and reading up on it from MSI website. It seems that win98 CANNOT be installed onto the S-ATA hard drive. Is that a problem associated with the MSI board only or win98 pretty much doesn't work w/ S-ATA drive? The other candidate that I'm considering is the newly released Epox 9NDA3+/3J...

Yes I do run a dual boot machine since I had some legacy softwares that only works in win98se...

Dump Win98SE... nobody supports it anymore. You can always buy a cheap HDD to run that on IDE anyways and run XP or whatever via SATA.

edpsx said:
Dump Win98SE... nobody supports it anymore. You can always buy a cheap HDD to run that on IDE anyways and run XP or whatever via SATA.

Can you suggest a voice/fax software package that works better than Talkworks from Symantec? So far that's absolutely the best voice/fax software and I DO need it.

as much as I know it's not possible to install Windows98 to sata drive. This is not MSI's fault, it is just that Windows98 is a bit... erm... old operating system and it has no support to sata-drives.

alecela said:
It seems that win98 CANNOT be installed onto the S-ATA hard drive.

LOL!

Yes, win98's dos is not going to support SATA. However there may be a workaround. If you can load the OS onto an IDE drive and get the drivers for the SATA controller installed, then theoretically all you have to do is ghost the OS to the SATA drive and it may load just fine. I've never done this, but it should work. Norton Ghost should support SATA by now, but if not, then a SATA/IDE converter may do the job....maybe...

If you hadn't mentioned needing legacy support, I would have recommended a serious upgrade, but given the company I support has tons of legacy needs, I totally get your situation :)

alecela said:
Yes I do run a dual boot machine since I had some legacy softwares that only works in win98se...

what kind of legacy software are you running that won't run under compatiblity modes in WinXP?

I still say just pick up an IDE drive and forget about it. You can still have dual boot and not have to worry about SATA/Win98 support.

Back