• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i get a mobile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

well originally (before i bought my computer) i was going to get a mobile 2400 (the 45w version) but my friend told my dad i should get a faster proc, probly didnt know i was gonna oc, so sincei was really anxious to get my computer i just selected a 3000, i first tried the 2600, but my dads like how much is the 3000, so i got that. I oced to 2.279 with and my ram timings are 2.5-3-3-6 (havent tried lower timings yet) but ya i dont think my cpu can get any farther, maybe my psu but im not sure

anyways, i kinda wanted to buy another stick o ram since around 200+ is always in use some how, but i wanna oc though. Would i be able to oc a 2600 mobile pretty far? or would i need a new psu?

Maybe if i could sell my 3000, you think i can get about 100 for it? cuz its locked but i dunno, cuz if so then the 2600 would practically be free!!

so should i get the mobile? or just get ram? and save for a64? (wont be able to get A64 for like a year )

I have a 2600+ Mobile, and it OC's to 2500 MHz fairly easily.

If I were you though, I wouldn't spend another $100 on an Athlon XP processor. I would save a little while and go for a Athlon64. You can find them now for less than $150.

Edit: But if you could sell that processor on E-Bay for $100 and trade it in for a 2600+ mobile, it would definetely be worth it!

The mobile will OC much more than your current chip, and you should be able to sell the 3000 for the cost of a new mobile. I would try to get a 2600, check Excaliber for steppings.

ya i checked on ebay, there about 90-110 so i dunno, id have to ask my dad though, he probly wont let me

i have a mobile 2500+ and 2600+, the 2500 did 2.806ghz on phase-cooling, the 2600+ can do 2.964 ghz on phase cooling...i might go a64 this christmas...and sell those cpus, or at least the 2500+ for now...and id be asking less.

If I was you I would save for an A64 since the performance gain for you wouldn't be enough to justice spending another $100, but if are able to sell it for the price of a mobile then go for it. Check the rails on that psu, I made a computer with a raidmax psu and I didn't like it's rails very much and it was cheaply made but I keep a close eye on it, it is in a old shuttle board with a tbred a so there is not a great power demand like in a oced machine, but in the long run a psu will be worth it since you'll be able to use again if you decide to go A64.

well through mobo monitor my rails are completly stable, but i doubt it

ya ill be getting a new psu eventullay (either a super flower from directron or a fortron 530) but i dont need it right now, but i might if i get a mobile

Back