• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

+'s to X800 XT and the 6800 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper_83

I'm not looking to start a flame war!

I just want to hear from the ppl that have these cards and want to share what they like about them. Any one that has both can give a comparison if their is anything to compare.

TY in advance.

P.S. I'm not interested in hearing about cards that have yet to be, I'm just looking to buy my last agp card B4 going express.

i like my x800xt because it easily clocked to platinum speeds and the image quality is just so darn good and i have the best gaming experiance ever in hl2 and nfsu:2 and far cry and doom3, they all just look so good and smooth that i can't fathom that I used to have a 9800pro

Sniper_83 said:
I'm not looking to start a flame war!

I just want to hear from the ppl that have these cards and want to share what they like about them. Any one that has both can give a comparison if their is anything to compare.

TY in advance.

P.S. I'm not interested in hearing about cards that have yet to be, I'm just looking to buy my last agp card B4 going express.

I own both a 6800GT past Ultra speeds, and a x800 XT past PE speeds, and i must say for an overall gaming standpoint, the x800 is the way to go. Really the only thing the XT lacks is sm3 support, which may or may not be a big deal before your next upgrade. Another thing that keeps drawing me back to ATI is driver support, new monthly updates are great. I have had a few problems with the 6800 as well, as far as overclocking and fastwrites are concerned. Either card is going to be a great performer, but i prefer the ATi to the Nvidia for a few minor reasons. Next stop, pci-e.

Cool! I know I can't wait til late next year to start my new build of an pci-e capable platform but I need something to hold me over till then.

Sniper_83 said:
Cool! I know I can't wait til late next year to start my new build of an pci-e capable platform but I need something to hold me over till then.

my advice would be to buy less card ir your going PCI-E anyway. your not gonna push a ultra or XTpe with only 2.6Ghz unless its AMD. :p

I attempted (during the early release days) to pick up an X800XT, but after many attempts, it became clear that ATI had bigger production problems then Nvidia. I caved and picked up a 1st release PNY 6800 Ultra. From a driver standpoint, I'd have to give the nod to ATI. As a previous 9800 Pro owner, I can't really fault ATI drivers, however Nvidia seems to have slipped slightly, and I have more problems (although slight) then I did with ATI drivers.

I truly believe the 1st release 6800 Ultra's were the best because Nvidia tightly controlled production quality. My 6800 Ultra looks flawless, and overclockes to 450/1.2 without issue.

I think either way you go, you will be happy, but if you can get ahold of an X800XT (good luck) then I'd give a slight nod to it.

As far as HL2, this game runs awsome on my Ultra (@ 1280x1024 / 4x AA / 8x AA)

A side note... my sig has not be updated in some tim and that 2.6 is pushing 3.1 on stock cooling and voltage.

My only comment on the driver issues is I think Nividia cut back on the programers pay scales because I remeber their being a time where ATI had some issues with driver compatability or was it application compatability...I cant recall but they had similar problems.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to replace my 9800 Pro and don't know which way to go. At the mininum I would get a 6800GT or an X800 Pro, but I can go all the way for either side. I really hated my 9800 Pro, the drivers were horrible. If I saw one more atid1ag.dll BSOD I think I was going to go insane. I'm almost glad it fried out on me, so now I have an excuse to get something better. I'm using a cheap GeForce MX4000 until I get the new card, and I've had zero driver issues since it's install. When you're about to fork out more than $400 on something, you really want to be satisfied...

Jsmooth65 said:
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to replace my 9800 Pro and don't know which way to go. At the mininum I would get a 6800GT or an X800 Pro, but I can go all the way for either side. I really hated my 9800 Pro, the drivers were horrible. If I saw one more atid1ag.dll BSOD I think I was going to go insane. I'm almost glad it fried out on me, so now I have an excuse to get something better. I'm using a cheap GeForce MX4000 until I get the new card, and I've had zero driver issues since it's install. When you're about to fork out more than $400 on something, you really want to be satisfied...

couldnt have possibly been a defective card causing those problems, just HAD to be ATi's horrible drivers. LOL. I doubt it was the drivers causing it, most likely a hardware issue.

Yea that one could go either way. Several things could even corupt drivers too. Also could have been some other drivers that ATI's did not like on your system. All I know is that some things can happen to some that never happen to others... Kinda like how EQ2 hardly crashes on my PC but my friend has had several crashes on his PC....

...but thats a whole nother story.

Ifi had the choice to go back in time and pick up the x800pro box instead of my 6800GT in compusa i wouldg et the x800pro, main reason is because my GT has one of the hose defective Video processors which sux, and the IQ isnt as good as ATI's just the AA that is. Also Nvidia's driver support has gone down the drain, people still claim NV's drivers rock yet thats not the case i loved my 9700pro because it was fast and the drivers kicked ***. Cant say the same for nvidia they keep releasing bad buggy drivers all the time now. Oh well it cant be changed other then those few problems i like my GT, it overclocks to the Ultra extreme speeds.

only had a x800PRO that o/C'd to 540 / 590 :D and kicked butt! i am an ATI preference as i have NEVER had issues with drivers so many describe and the cards always did what they said they would - not "possibly" do what they should with a driver release 8 years down the road.

hmm, interesting thread.

While I do agree that the choice between the X800PE and the 6800ultra is kind of up in the air and that ATI do to driver support may win, I think I would disagree on the comparison between the 6800Gt and the x800pro.

IMHO, The GT is the better buy with it's great OC ability.

Just my 2 cents. I'm trying to wait for the PCIe versions and MB SLI support to hit before I make the leap.....but it is really hard waiting :(

epauls said:
hmm, interesting thread.

While I do agree that the choice between the X800PE and the 6800ultra is kind of up in the air and that ATI do to driver support may win, I think I would disagree on the comparison between the 6800Gt and the x800pro.

IMHO, The GT is the better buy with it's great OC ability.

Just my 2 cents. I'm trying to wait for the PCIe versions and MB SLI support to hit before I make the leap.....but it is really hard waiting :(

I would take the GT over the Pro as well, sm3, 16 pipes make it much more appealing. But i still stick with x800 XT > 6800U/GT.

Well MY 9800 Pro sucked for whatever reason. It wouldnt overclock even on W/C. Guess I got unlucky. As much as I hate what that ATi has done to me, I may just have to get the X800XT. I can even use my exisiting Maze4 water block. I'll be so crazy mad though if I get more driver errors.

I'm going to get a DFI nForce3 250 mobo at the same time, which may help with some hardware compatibility issues. Who knows.

Jsmooth65 said:
Well MY 9800 Pro sucked for whatever reason. It wouldnt overclock even on W/C. Guess I got unlucky. As much as I hate what that ATi has done to me, I may just have to get the X800XT. I can even use my exisiting Maze4 water block. I'll be so crazy mad though if I get more driver errors.

I'm going to get a DFI nForce3 250 mobo at the same time, which may help with some hardware compatibility issues. Who knows.

Its hard to say what may have been the cause of your driver issues. They may have been the drivers for ati it may have been drivers conflicting with ati. I'm not telling anyone what to buy or even entirely understand what causes some issues. I do know I did not like the 9800xt as much as I liked my 9700 pro...its a shame I lost that one... >_<

*crys quietly*

Oh yea...I ended up buying a Gigabyte X800 XT. Hope it lives up to what I want of it, needed preformance badly.

Bout pci-e tho a friend of mine made a good point. They still arnt really even useing the AGP 8X to it fullest yet, go ahead and test it at 4X and 8X, the only real benifit of pci-e is that most of the power for the board now comes from the socket. Not real sure if thats a benifit tho.

Well the 6800gt had its time to shine, now move over for the x800XL. Looks like its the new bang for the buck card at a full $100 cheaper.

Sucka said:
I would take the GT over the Pro as well, sm3, 16 pipes make it much more appealing. But i still stick with x800 XT > 6800U/GT.

The problem with SMS 3 is that once it is fully aplied to game's who says NVIDIA can use it well enough or "efficiently" - i mean look @ their so called "full dx 9 support" for FX cards?

when dx9 was eanbled FX cards had to go down to DX 8.1 to run properly,..... more or less

SMS3 - until used in more games should not be a buying decision - since it has not been shown yet if NVIIDA cards are fully capable of running FULL!! SMS 3 anyways....

Back