• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

+'s to X800 XT and the 6800 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
epauls said:
hmm, interesting thread.

While I do agree that the choice between the X800PE and the 6800ultra is kind of up in the air and that ATI do to driver support may win, I think I would disagree on the comparison between the 6800Gt and the x800pro.

IMHO, The GT is the better buy with it's great OC ability.

Just my 2 cents. I'm trying to wait for the PCIe versions and MB SLI support to hit before I make the leap.....but it is really hard waiting :(

Definatly. The GT has always been the better card. All benchmarks show this.

Really is personal preference as to which make you get. Both the 6800U and XTPE are quality cards, and both have there strengths and weaknessess.

6800U:
Much better OpenGl performance
SM3.0
Usually less games bugs
Better availabilty

XTPE:
Slighty faster in Direct X
Better performance at 1600, and with AA and AF
Better drivers, better updates every month
Smaller, 1 slot, 1 power cable, less heat.

Not really much in it.

If i had a choice of a 6800Ultra or a another XTPE, id definatly get a 6800Ultra. :)

Btw, nice to see a thread that isn't reduced to lame fanboys. :p

snyper1982 said:
Well the 6800gt had its time to shine, now move over for the x800XL. Looks like its the new bang for the buck card at a full $100 cheaper.

And where can you get a X800XL ?

I had ATI Cards since my early Apple PCI days, and still do on my later Macs, they're great. But at the moment For My PC the choice is Nvidia, because
of Linux drivers (especially 64bit) and availability.

And the HDR in Farcry.....

Later

CN

Yea that was a good question bout the X800XL. But I want to ask further is that a MAC card?

I also cought a glimps that their is a X850 on ATI's web site...I have not looked at it much rather bussy with the holiday. Wounder if I should have waited...any one have the time to find an expected release date on that one?

Also my final decision was based more on driver support than card preformance, not to mention price, tho the GT did look like it might be worth trying. U know on that note about drivers does anyone else have some problems when using the Catalist Control Center, I had to go back to the standard utilties because I couldnot get the thermal reading in CCC anymore.

epauls said:
IMHO, The GT is the better buy with it's great OC ability.

Have you seen the speeds that X800PRO's have been O/C'd to ? i got mine from 450 stock to 540 and the memory to 590.......

yes the 16 pipes is nice - but to me sm3 is not an advatage since NVIDIA had such issues with SM2 and below and still can not pass testing for those. - or did they fix that....?

Also my final decision was based more on driver support than card preformance, not to mention price, tho the GT did look like it might be worth trying. U know on that note about drivers does anyone else have some problems when using the Catalist Control Center, I had to go back to the standard utilties because I couldnot get the thermal reading in CCC anymore.

ATI driver issues? amazing.

comfortablynumb said:
And where can you get a X800XL ?

I had ATI Cards since my early Apple PCI days, and still do on my later Macs, they're great. But at the moment For My PC the choice is Nvidia, because
of Linux drivers (especially 64bit) and availability.

And the HDR in Farcry.....

Later

CN

You can't actualy buy it yet, it hasnt reached market. Doesnt change the fact that it performs better, while being $100 cheaper. If you have to have a card now, by all means buy a 6800gt, or you can wait and get the xl.

Jsmooth65 said:
ATI driver issues? amazing.

Its not so much a driver issue it a UI bug. Thats the only difference between Catalist Control Center and the advanced display properties.

snyper1982 said:
Well the 6800gt had its time to shine, now move over for the x800XL. Looks like its the new bang for the buck card at a full $100 cheaper.

Very true. But remember, the x800XL is PCIe-only. So for the enthusiast running an AGP port, the 6800GT is still the better buy.

deception``

Back