• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This makes me sick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wouldn't you have to research which Alienware you want? Or do they only offer one? :D

I think research/component selection are synonomous, else what are you researching?

What the hell is integration??

Why are we troubleshooting?

Damn. I just snapped. E-mail I sent to [email protected] Subject: Interesting advertising.

http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/index.aspx

Wouldn't you have to research which Alienware you want? Or do they only offer one?

I think research/component selection are synonomous, else what are you researching?

What is integration??

Why are we troubleshooting?

"There are many less-than-reputable distributors that are only interested in a quick sale rather than in your satisfaction. Unfortunately, this requires you to evaluate not only the components, but the sources from which you obtain them, causing you to spend a lot more time configuring your self-built system than you would configuring an Alienware system."

What does component selection have to do with configuration of a system, both Alienware and competition?

"No matter how much effort you put into perfecting the interior configurations of your self-built system, you could very well end up with a generic and bland off-the-shelf case that poorly reflects all your hard work. This results in you being stuck with a dull-looking system that lacks any sense of style and fails to catch anyone’s eye."

Let's face it, this is what's keeping you guys in business. Anyone building their own computer is going to have a hard time fnding beige boxes anymore. I don't think any major companies that sell computer cases sell beige boxes, and not the neo-high tech cases.

I'm not going to address the "amenities" point. I don't think a single person working for Alienware buys in to the "free t-shirt."

"When building a system yourself, there’s no guarantee that all the components will work well together. You must conduct research on the components prior to purchase to determine compatibility. Once you have completed the build process and boot up, you can only hope not to get the ‘Blue Screen of Death’. If you do, it could take hours to find and fix the issue. "
Well, the blue screen of death hasn't existed since Windows 2000. Come on, get with the times! ;) Getting an Alienware doesn't make you less susceptible to hardware conflicts, or booting issues. Unless of course you guys install, run, and update virus protection as well as spyware protection.(Either remotely or by sending someone out every week to check for "updates" which apparently aren't a step involved in the Alienware experience)

"Alienware prides itself on developing systems that offer customers the opportunity to fully upgrade each component of their system. The exclusive Alienware chassis features a fully upgradeable architecture to extend the life of each system, keeping you ahead of the curve of rapidly changing computer technology. Alienware’s advanced architecture saves you money in the long-run by negating the need to buy a completely new system each time technology advances.

With a self-built system, upgrades must be considered carefully. Issues such as PSU capabilities, hardware expansion capacity and component compatibility must be contemplated very carefully if you intend to upgrade your system when new technology is available. "

Isn't that kind of dishonest? Like, a lot? The whole point of building your own computer is upgradability.(Upgradeability is not a word)

What makes your computer so future-proof?

"There will be no easy answers for any issues your self-built system has. Yet again, you are on your own to find the solution."

How do you know? Do you know what every user is and is not capable of? Do you have to fail a lax test to purchase one of your computers?

"Alienware gives you the opportunity to protect your investment with AlienRespawn, an exclusive recovery tool that quickly and painlessly restores your system to its original optimized settings without having to send it back to the factory."

Like Windows Restore Points?

"Building your own system means you will have to rely on public forums for answers to questions or problems you may have. Participants from other forums are not likely to have your interests at heart, and may not be as knowledgeable. Can you trust them?"
Of course not, they're all haxx0rz, trust you, I mean, listen to your advertising campaign, who couldn't trust you?

"When you choose to build a high-performance system, the fact is “time is money”. The time you’ll spend investigating online distributors, researching part options, waiting for shipments, building, testing and troubleshooting could be spent actually enjoying your custom-built, high-performance Alienware PC."

If time is money, and you guys take seven days to ship, and Newegg and ZipZoomfly take 3 days, who am I winning with?

"Instead of receiving your system in one convenient shipment, you will have to put up with the hassle of receiving system parts shipped individually from multiple distributors. This time-consuming process can further delay the completion of your system."

I would be interested to know why the "average Joe" is going to buy from multiple distributors? Oh, that's right, because it's more difficult this way.

"The cost of shipping parts from various online distributors can add up with a self-built system. Some online distributors offer superficially low item prices and then recoup the difference with high shipping costs. The perceived savings is therefore non-existent. In the unfortunate event that you may need to return an item to an online distributor because of component malfunction, you are likely to incur additional expenses. Even if the part is defective, you are often held responsible for the return shipping charges."

Tell you what, go to Newegg or ZipZoomFly and piece out a system. If shipping is more than ten dollars for everything I will buy an Alienware.

"Savings I can appreciate?" Where? Your computers are significantly more money than comparable systems. How can you begin to call that savings?

I'd be interested in a reply.

Footnote:
Dear unlucky person who has to read this. I realize you have no interest in this e-mail, Alienware's standpoint, marketing scheme, or Alienware itself. Unfortunately, the guy who did write all of that probably got paid way more money than you, which is unfortunate. That person got paid to right a bunch of dishonest stuff, and he can because the computer market is still an "unknown market" to most. Whereas you have to deal with bellicose e-mails such as this one, and I'm sure they come more often than not. I pray for you, and anyone who has to work in customer service in any company. Please do not let this e-mail ruin your day.

Well, the main thing is that Alienware assumes that building your own computer is work; it isn't, it's fun. ;)

Also, it's not surprising that they use this type of advertising, many different manufacturers do.

This advertisement is basically justification for anyone who's either too lazy or doesn't care enough to build their own system.
Honestly if I were Alienware, I wouldn't have spent my money on this ad as I doubt it would help sales much; instead, I would flame Dell for all they were worth. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, I now hate alienware even more :argue: :temper: :mad: :mad:
As you can see, they SURELY didn't include the price increase that it would be to buy a system from them... :rolleyes:

How much cheaper could we build an alienware computer or even a quicker one?

haha, yeah alienware's suck.. I had a friend who had to replace his graphics card through them two or three times because it failed on him. They charge over $6,000 for their top of the line computer, im sure people here could build a better system than theirs with half their price. I had a dell once that was really expensive, and it was a piece of sh*t. Im never having other people build me a computer, its a rip off.

they forgot to mention steps 5-100 for the alienware: working to pay off the stupid thing. Anyways, what's the 'updates' supposed to be? Windows? Are they saying that you won't have to ever update an alienware? Also, if there's something you need to 'troubleshoot' I assume you would need to get the computer working before you tried to connect to the internet for updates...

Common guys, they are right after all.
I remember when I went shopping for my first computer, it was a 80486 DX 66mhz and I had no idea about computers all I knew is I can run games on them.
I was lucky because a relative of mine is a computer engineer from back when computers ware room size and he explained few things and went shopping with us but how many people are that lucky? Most people want a computer but don't know the basic components so they buy a pre build one.
Who does Alienware sell to? Rich kids period.
Us we try to squeeze every dime from our hardware, that is the point of OCing... Is a rich kid going to OC? No way, hes just gonna take dads uranium credit card and get a new Alienware comp :)
Thats just my point of view.

yea they did forget to mention the part of saving lots and lots of money and then when your done building your own pc going out and building 2-3 more pcs for the same price as one alienware.

You guys need to look at this from an average joes point of view. We are a very select few that can build computers, even though it's easy.
Little things like troubleshooting a DOA component would be absolute hell if you had no prior experiance with hardware....the screen doesn't turn on..monitor? video card? motherboard? CPU? finicky motherboard that won't work with a new HDD?!?! yeah stuff like that happens and if your not up to speed on this stuff your screwed.

Also, these computers are much better performers for top of the line than dell, and you pay for it.

Try this analogy,
Your brake pads are worn out, you need new ones....you gonna install em yourself? it's very easy, but if you havn't done it before you need to research or take the time. Some people might not think it's fun either...you gonna goto a mechanic or do it yourself? If you've changed brake pads before you'd probably keep doing it yourself, if you've never tried your probably gonna keep going to a shop and paying for thier time...but I'm not gonna sit here and laugh at you for it.

I see noughting wrong with going prebuilt. What ticks me off is how they are ragging on building it your self with pure BS. It just really ticks me off having what I did insulted with something this low. I personly think this adveriment is really low

Couldn't you get their 'tested and confirmed to work' or whatever configuration just by reading their website and buying the same stuff?

ajrettke said:
Also, these computers are much better performers for top of the line than dell, and you pay for it.
This I will argue with you. If you look below, you'll notice I did indeed have an Alienware. When I got it, it was a Geforce3 Ti500 (failed), XP1600, bad Gigabyte board that blew it's caps, 40 Gig Deathstar (failed), and 300W Cheiftec PSU that delivered below 11.5A on the 12V line. Completly stock system, with the exception of pot metal on the Geforce 3's ram (yes pot metal) heatsinks that looked like they were hosed down with super glue. The case was the only thing that I didn't scrap when I learnt what I was dealing with.

ajrettke said:
You guys need to look at this from an average joes point of view. We are a very select few that can build computers, even though it's easy.
Little things like troubleshooting a DOA component would be absolute hell if you had no prior experiance with hardware....the screen doesn't turn on..monitor? video card? motherboard? CPU? finicky motherboard that won't work with a new HDD?!?! yeah stuff like that happens and if your not up to speed on this stuff your screwed.

Read the E-mail I sent to them.

What good is online support if you can't even boot your computer?

The rare instances of hardware failure like you are suggesting are just as possible from Alienware. We've all gotten sent stuff DOA, what would make Alienware so perfect?

The fact is, they're cashing in on Joe's stupidity. They're doing it heavily, and doing it pretty dishonestly. I'm surprised they didn't show a guy getting electroctuted next to the "Build your own PC" and a family of four with a dog sitting by the fireplace next to Alienware.

So the other day I got all of the parts for my new A64 system, so I went out to my garage and I put it together. I stood back, admired my excellent work, then came back inside with my new system. I plugged in the PSU, keyboard, speakers, and mouse, and powered up. Then I installed Windows and began to download its latest updates. But wait, I FORGOT TO INTEGRATE! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!better buy an Alienware

You guys need to look at this from an average joes point of view.
Why are they telling average joe not to build a computer if he has no idea how to build one. This ad makes no sense, anyone who has built their computer knows how much better it is to build than to buy, not only the price but the experience as well, so there's no reason to tell us to stop building and to buy. Average Joe isn't going to consider building anyway, so there is no reason to tell him not to build. The whole thing seems quite useless.

The whole premise of the saying it takes 4 steps to buy and 8 steps to build is stupid, it means nothing. . .

It takes 3 steps to row across the Atlantic:
1)get in boat
2)row
3)get out of boat

and 9 steps to make a peice of toast:
1)get bread
2)put in toaster
3)plug toaster in
4)get toast out
5)integrate
6)butter toast
7)troubleshoot buttering job
8)update butter to margarin
9)enjoy

OK that was a horrible analogy, but what I am trying to stay is the number of steps in a process has very little to do with the value or worthwhileness of that process.

Radical said:
So the other day I got all of the parts for my new A64 system, so I went out to my garage and I put it together. I stood back, admired my excellent work, then came back inside with my new system. I plugged in the PSU, keyboard, speakers, and mouse, and powered up. Then I installed Windows and began to download its latest updates. But wait, I FORGOT TO INTEGRATE! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!better buy an Alienware
ROFL!

http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/retail.aspx

Everyone who has been saying that you save money by building your own system is wrong simply because it's not possible to buy OEM parts! And retail parts cost a literal FORTUNE! For example: an OEM 3.0E P4 at NewEgg is $180 (not that you can actually buy an OEM CPU), while a retail 3.0E P4 is an obnoxiously inflated $188!! WHO HAS THE MONEY TO SPEND AN EXTRA $8 ON THE RETAIL VERSION OF A CPU? Not me, especially when the retail version comes with a heatsink and fan, and a longer warranty.

Sure, Alienware gets parts cheaper then a consumer can, but are those savings passed on to the buyer? The answer is an obvious YES!

Back