• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec tru control 550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

i currently have this psu .. ive been using it for awhile .. should i keep it or upgrade to a pcp&c for my new system which is gonna be a watercooled 3500+ and 6800ultra and msi k8n neo2 platinum???

You should not, unless you have some extra cash around. Because the True Control can handle your new system well enough!

Capt Fiero said:
The True control is more than enough of a rig for your new rig.

Hehe, I will give my $.02. I had a True Control 550w and noticed quite a bit of fluctuation in the 3.3v, 5v, & 12v rails even though I dialed them in the way I liked. I switched to a PCP&C Turbo510 Deluxe EXPRESS for a couple of reasons:

1) It has the 24pin ATX connector which will become the standard soon enough. Yes, you can get a connector to change any 20pin ATX into a 24pin ATX. But I feel better knowing that the extra power that the new mobos will require with the 24pin ATX will be supported NATIVELY on mine(i.e. my PCP&C already has the 24ATX) rather than have to use the 20pin to 24pin adapter that has to split an existing power line to make 2 for the 24 connection.

2)My rails are rock steady and have very little variation. Much less than my True Control.

3)If you look at my sig you will see what my current setup is. Even though I don't OC, I do have a lot of high-end stuff in my machine. The True Control's exhaust fan was pushing out a lot of hot air. My PCP&C barely pushes out any warm air. This means to me that the PCP&C is not working as hard as the Antec did, and is a more efficient unit.

4)If you want to use a high end PCIe video card in the future you will have to sacrifice a molex to use a converter to plug power into that card. PCP&C already thought of this and has one setup for you. Plus it has SATA connectors (6) so i am set there plus I have plenty of Molexes left over.

5)5 year warranty. Enough said.

ive got the true control 550 also, and notice fluctuations on my rig listed below and the chiller uses its own power source.
My new ufo case comes in tommorrow, and i bought a fanless 350 psu to power everything but the cpu, mobo and 6800 ultra which ill keep on the true control. Im hopeing that the fluctuations will go now that i will take alot of load off the true control since it was powering 3 scsi drives, fans, 2 opticals, floppy, cpu, mobo, vid card, and im adding 2 sata drives so all that 12v juice will come from the new psu.

My TC 550 doesn't flucuate at all under load. Of course I have significantly less load on it than bla403 or Burner27.

I think it will handle your system just fine, madhatR. Try it out, and if you aren't satisfied with the performance, you can always upgrade later.

Back