• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KG7-Raid Problems.........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbjunkster

I have just installed a new system and can't get it to start up or anything. The onyl thing that happens is that I hear a buzzing for the PS. The PS works on my old mob still so I don't think that this is causing the issue. Remember I get NO activity, no lights beeps or fans. But can plug in the old board and it works fine.

New system -
Abit KG7-Raid
1.4 Athlon Socket A
2x 256 DDR Ram 2100
CD & CDRW
10Gb HD
60Gb HD
250watt PS

Old System (that still works)
Asus A7V
700 Athlon SLot A
256 SDRAM 133
128 SDRAM 133
All other equip the same

Do I have a bad mobo? Or is it the power supply? Could I have just done something wrong? This is the first time I have put a system together.

All help is HIGHLY appreciated

250 watts might not be enought to fire up that 1.4 gig.

Try a bigger powersupply.

350 minimum. 400 even.

Make sure you have your cpu fan running off the motherboard as well.

assuming that u plugged everything in correctly then it should work but if not then the board is dead on arrival.........

Sorry it is a Kv7, it was a typo for the old mobo. I have not tried to use different DDR slots though, but I would think that I would see <i>something</i> when it has power not just stand there looking at a board that is doing nada. I think it was just a bad board, damn my luck. :(

etomac said:
U have to start DDR putting from DIMM 4!!

And don't mess with PCI 1 n 3

Why shouldn't PCI 3 be used?

from viahardware.com:
"INT Pin 1": AGP card and PCI Slot 1
"INT Pin 2": PCI Slot 2 and PCI Slot 3 and ACPI (if enabled)
"INT Pin 3": PCI Slot 5 (and HPT370 controller in KT7-RAID)
"INT Pin 4": PCI Slot 4 and PCI Slot 6 and USB

Power, Power, Power. With the 1.4 you will definitely need more power! I have a KG7-R with a 1.4 and I decided on a 400. you could use a 350 but more is better, at least it is to me.

My brother is currently using 1.4G Athlon and KG7 Lite with 235W PSU. It is working which was a surprise to me. I am running now 1.4G Athlon, GF3, KG7 Raid and Hec 300W PSU without problems.

By the way the DDR has to be filled starting from DIMM slot4, doesn't work otherwise according to manual.

Last edited:
If I had the RAM in the wrong slot would it at least fire up? Or would it do like I said and not do a damn thing? I appreciate all the help, and yes a 300w should definelty work. You have to understand, I get no fans or anything I think it may be a bad board but I will try the RAM thing before sending it back.

Thanks Again

Check once more that there is no short-circuits anywhere. You have to count fans as possible source for short-circuit also. You can test fans simply by not connecting them at all (except some fan for CPU cooling).

Okay I sent back the mobo to the company I bought it form and they sent it back stating that they had no problem booting it up.

What else could it be?
I haven't tried testing the processor but how common is a bad proc?

Thanks

If I had the RAM in the wrong slot would it at least fire up? Or would it do like I said and not do a damn thing?

mine (KG7-Raid) booted up to BIOS and it said

DDR MEMORY MUST BE IN SLOTS 4 & 3 or something like that..I knew what it meant so I changed it and it worked fine. I also had a problem with the KG7 when I first set it up, I realize you have a different board, but pull everything out except the vid card, one stick of DDR and the chip...turn it on, if it boots, start putting back components one by one.. memory, if it boots, put in sound, if it boots, put in nic. That'll tell you if you're running out of power for sure.

Keep us updated..

I have tried it with all components out and still get nothing.

I am still blaming the proc. and I have a friend that is gonna try his in it so that I don't send the proc. in and have them send it back too and say Im an idiot cause I cant get it working

Back